none
Share drive mapping. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 300 users that require several ( 45 different) share drives mapped to their computers. Problem is not all of them need all the shares. I was thinking about setting up a logon script to do it but, I wanted to check if there is any other simple way to do it. Long day I ran out of Ideas.

I hope someone can give me a hand with this doubt.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:15 PM

Answers

• Use Group Policy Preferences.

Ask in the Group Policy forum.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Arcano30 Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:20 PM
  • Thanks Bill.

Totally forgot about GPO and groups.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/01/07/using-group-policy-preferences-to-map-drives-based-on-group-membership.aspx
    • Edited by Arcano30 Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arcano30 Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:22 PM

All replies

• Use Group Policy Preferences.

Ask in the Group Policy forum.

• Marked as answer by Arcano30 Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:20 PM
  • Thanks Bill.

Totally forgot about GPO and groups.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/01/07/using-group-policy-preferences-to-map-drives-based-on-group-membership.aspx
    • Edited by Arcano30 Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arcano30 Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:22 PM
  • You cannot map more than 25 shares.  There are only 26 letters in the alphabet.  It is assumed that you have at least a 'C' drive which leaves, at most, 25 letters.

In modern Windows we normally do not map shares.  All modern programs are required to read and use UNC paths.  Mapping to a drive became obsolete with Windows 2000.  It has been retained for two reasons.  Simplicity and support for legacy programs.  Almost none of these programs will run on Vista and later so drives are unnecessary most of the time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:10 AM
  • Setup DFS (Distributed File System).

You can give the users a single drive mapping with access to all of the shares.

You restrict the view of the share within the DFS, so you can only see shares you have access to.

Also look-up Access Based Enumeration (ABE).  You should enable this on each share.

You can then use Group Policy Preferences to map a single drive.

Managing 45 different shares and drive mappings within GP will be a pain point.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:19 PM
  • I agree with the previous ideas (use UNC paths, Dfs, and ABE). These are definitely not scripting topics but rather systems management topics.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:29 PM