Migrating SharePoint 2003 users to new domain RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario: Migrate 10,000 plus SharePoint 2003 users from domain A to domain B

1). I'm having issues with users and mysites.  I've read the article on how to restore mysites to the new user id however; in my case the user id will stay the same from one domain to the other.  For example, when I migrate John using stsadm I migrate from domain A\john to domain B\john.  I don't understand how a restore from john to john will allow domain B\john access to his original mysites.

2). Is it possible to retrieve programatically a given user's accessibility (without going to the site and managing users) to all sharepoint sites and determine if that access is given via a sharepoint group or an AD group?  Perhaps someone could provide sample code?

3). Seems there will be lots of manual work in the scenario where users are being migrated from one AD domain to another and subsequently needing to be migrated in SharePoint as well. 

I'm just trying to get ideas on how to best go about migrating thousands of users without all the fallout.

Ideas are appreciated.

Tim

cautiously optimistic

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:16 PM

Answers

All replies