report properties code to detect output export format and update report exported adding header and footer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

i'm working on SQL Server 2012 and i would like to create a custom rendering extension as word extension. I saw in this forum that it  is very difficult.

Here is the situation:

1/ We have implemented around 700 reports, that consumed by the user since 5 years through report server

2/ In 2012 version, word rendering extension has been added. When the user exports a report with word or ppt format, automatically, a header and a footer are added in the output.

3/ We don't want to implement this footer and header directly in the reports for different reasons

My questions are:

1/ Through report properties code, or assemblies..., is it possible to implement a code that detect or catch the export format? If it's word or pdf format, we insert the header and footer during the export. It is like an update is made in the concerned report before the export

2/ If not, what alternative can you provide me? With an example or a sample if it is possible

Thanks in advance,

BR,

PJ

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi PJAC,

Sorry for delayed reply.

1- Header/footer need to be configured initially in the report?

-->Yes. I suggest you to do this in the report.

2- i have to create a new render delivery extension to answer this requirement?

-->However, create a new extension is meaningless. The setting of header/footer is built-in in the SSRS.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi PJAC,
    According to your description, you want to update report exported adding header and footer which the report isn’t including header and footer itself. Right?

In Reporting Services, we have built-in field called “Render Format Name” to detect the exporting render format. However, it’s not supported to conditionally enable/disable Page Header and Footer currently. For your requirement, a workaround is setting the visibility of objects in header/footer based on “Render Format Name”, but you can’t completely remove the header/footer.

Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

• Proposed as answer by Xi Jin Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:46 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 6:55 AM
  • Hi Jin,

Thank you for your feedback.

I know this buil-in field "Render Format Name". You explain me that based on this option, it is impossible to trigger a dll during the export once the render is detected?

That means:

BR,

PJAC

Monday, April 11, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Hi PJAC,

Sorry for delayed reply.

-->Yes. I suggest you to do this in the report.

-->However, create a new extension is meaningless. The setting of header/footer is built-in in the SSRS.

Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:55 AM