Trying to create a "Emergency Boot CD" for a Windows XP desktop computer. RRS feed

• Question

• Years ago, I created a 3.5" floppy "Emergency Boot Disk" to be used on my Windows XP desktop PC. I can boot from that floppy, but it only allows me access to drive A:, which happens to be the drive I'm booting from. Not very useful!! I need access to the C: drive.

Now, I'm using an HP notebook PC. Anyway, I've never used "ISO 9660 image" for any purpose. I already have software that makes it very easy to burn a bootable CD from any ISO file I have available, but the CDs I've created don't seem to be working.

I'm trying to create an Emergency Boot CD (for my Windows XP desktop PC) using my HP notebook. So, the question..., can I create this CD boot disk using my Windows Vista Home Premium notebook? And, if so, I'm not sure about what I'm creating if I use the ISO 9660 image.

I'm all ears. What do you think?

• Moved by Ken Warren Monday, December 19, 2011 4:18 AM off topic for Windows Home Server forums (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Monday, December 19, 2011 2:17 AM

All replies

• As I known, it is not supported to create the bootable CD in Vista for XP. You have to do it on Windows XP.

How did you burn the bootable CD from the ISO file?

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:09 AM
  • I downloaded the ISO file into my "Downloads" subdirectory.

I have only one drive that uses "removable" disks..., that would be drive E: in my case. The C: drive is partitioned to create drive D:.

Since the output from the ISO file has only one way to go, I merely double click the ISO file, and the CD/DVD is automatically burned.

Then I can use the optical disk whenever I need it.

The ISO file remains in my Downloads directory. I clean out this folder periodically.

I did manage to create a few CDs that my XP computer could boot from. Each of these disks served a specific service for my XP computer. 

You need to be sure that whatever you download is of service to a specific operating system..., in my case Windows XP. So, you can create disks on a Vista machine that are meant to execute on a XP computer. In this particular case, I had to avoid executing any of these XP programs on my Vista PC.

• Edited by Hacksaw123 Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:30 PM
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:21 PM