Step by Step DHCP Migration from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for best practice step by step directions for migrating from a windows server 2008 R2 to a windows server 2012 R2. What tools do I need if any and what PowerShell commands work best?

cshsysadmin

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi

You can follow these steps for migration

-cmd console "netsh dhcp server export c:\dhcpbackup.txt all" ->enter

- stop dhcp service and set start up type "disabled"

copy "dhcpbackup.txt"file from 2008 to 2012 (on c dirve or etc)

- install DHCP role on Server 2012 but do not configure or create any scope.

- also check for is there any scope on 2012 "netsh dhcp server Show scope" if there is any "netsh dhcp server delete scope(ip of scope) dhcpfullforce" to delete

- "netsh dhcp server import c:\dhcpbackup.txt all" (where the backup file avaible)

-Finaly server manager->Tools->Open DHCP check the situation (if there is a red cross on,right click on dhcp server click "authorize" and "activate",

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hi

You can migrate dhcp with netsh command or powershell commands,(i generally use netsh command)

Check these step-by-step articles for migrate dhcp from server 2008 to 2012 (2003 to 2012 same steps)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2013/04/29/step-by-step-migration-of-dhcp-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2012.aspx

http://jackstromberg.com/2013/10/migrate-dhcp-role-from-server-2008-r2-to-server-2012-r2/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:41 PM
  • There are no improvements from server 2008 to server 2012 for dhcp migrations?

cshsysadmin

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:13 PM
  • Are there any commands or tools I should run after the migration to make sure everything is working the way it should?

cshsysadmin

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:20 PM
  • What about this command for exporting according to TechNet:

Export-SmigServerSetting -featureID DHCP -User All -Group -IPConfig -path <storepath> -Verbose

cshsysadmin

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Hi

You can follow these steps for migration

-cmd console "netsh dhcp server export c:\dhcpbackup.txt all" ->enter

- stop dhcp service and set start up type "disabled"

copy "dhcpbackup.txt"file from 2008 to 2012 (on c dirve or etc)

- install DHCP role on Server 2012 but do not configure or create any scope.

- also check for is there any scope on 2012 "netsh dhcp server Show scope" if there is any "netsh dhcp server delete scope(ip of scope) dhcpfullforce" to delete

- "netsh dhcp server import c:\dhcpbackup.txt all" (where the backup file avaible)

-Finaly server manager->Tools->Open DHCP check the situation (if there is a red cross on,right click on dhcp server click "authorize" and "activate",

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:29 PM
  • Are there any commands or tools I should run after the migration to make sure everything is working the way it should?

cshsysadmin

Hi rdprice_cshco.com,

If after migration, the DHCP server could be active and works well to provide IP addresses as usual. The migration will be successful.

Besides, you may also check DHCP event log to see if there are any errors.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:58 AM