Mail from another forest with the same SMTP namespace being tagged with SCL9 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As mentioned in the title, I have 2 forests, with a single domain in each. Domain  A runs Exchange 2010 Domain B runs Exchange 2016.

Scenario:

User in Domain A sends email to user in Domain B

Both users have the same SMTP domain namespace, userindomainA@mydomain.com, userindomainB@mydomain.com

Email is tagged by Exchange 2016 servers with a SCL of 9, mail is subsequently routed to Users Junk Mail folder.

Scenario 2:

User in Domain B sends email to user in Domain A

Both users have the same SMTP domain namespace, userindomainB@mydomain.com, userindomainA@mydomain.com

Email is tagged by Exchange 2010 servers with a SCL of -1, mail is subsequently routed to Users Inbox Folder.

In Domain A or Exchange 2010 environment I have a HubTransport Rule that says, any email sent from "mydomain.com"  Set Spam Confidence Level to -1.

In Domain B or Exchange 2016 environment I have the same Hub Transport Rule that says, any email sent from mydomain.com set Spam Confidence Level to "0"... -1 deprecated in 2016.

Is this a bug? or am I missing something? Even tho my HT rule says mark with SCL of 0, it still has an SCL of 9 once it hits the users mailbox (junk folder).

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, using transport rule to prevent Spam message is not the proper method. And if domain A is authenticated with domain, such message will not be tagged with SCL of 9

Have you configured DomainA as accepted domain in exchange 2016? And do you configure a federation trust between two forest?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj657734(v=exchg.150).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj673036(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Wednesday, September 28, 2016 7:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, October 10, 2016 1:02 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

how do you transfer mails from Domain A to Domain B?

If you connect those e.g. with a Edge Server you can configure the Edge Connection Filtering Agent's "IP allow List" to accept the partner domain,... and this in addition skip spam checks,... this should provide better SCL :-)

If there is a other connection type between the domains,... please let us know.

Best regards, 

Max

Thursday, September 15, 2016 12:01 PM