Service Manager 2012 SP1 Out of Office management questions RRS feed

• Question

• Couple of questions here:

When a support agent is out of office and is sent a notification of any type how can I keep the Exchange connector from creating a new incident from the auto reply?

When a support agent is out of office and is assigned a ticket how can I notify the person that assigned the out of office agent the IR or SR that the agent is not available and they should reassign?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:08 PM

Answers

• For your first question, our notification channel has a different "reply to email address" than the email address being monitored by the exchange connector. The reply-to address is just a dummy address, so if anyone replies directly to it, the exchange connector won't see it. This approach, however, causes a problem if you expect correspondance to be automatically logged in incidents..(we don't use that feature ourselves, so it's not a problem for us).

For your second question, you can identify a user as "out of office" (with a custom property on the user class). Then a custom workflow could monitor for assignments and send a notification to the assigner when the assignee's "out of office" flag is set to true. This approach requires a custom workflow because there are no criteria on relationship subscriptions.

• Marked as answer by Herb Winhoven Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:13 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:17 PM
  • So for the second question, it sounds like I would need to extend the class, change the user form, the agent would need to check the OOO box on their user CI and finally create a workflow that notifies the assigner that the agent is OOO, correct?

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:24 PM

All replies

• For your first question, our notification channel has a different "reply to email address" than the email address being monitored by the exchange connector. The reply-to address is just a dummy address, so if anyone replies directly to it, the exchange connector won't see it. This approach, however, causes a problem if you expect correspondance to be automatically logged in incidents..(we don't use that feature ourselves, so it's not a problem for us).

For your second question, you can identify a user as "out of office" (with a custom property on the user class). Then a custom workflow could monitor for assignments and send a notification to the assigner when the assignee's "out of office" flag is set to true. This approach requires a custom workflow because there are no criteria on relationship subscriptions.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:17 PM
  • So for the second question, it sounds like I would need to extend the class, change the user form, the agent would need to check the OOO box on their user CI and finally create a workflow that notifies the assigner that the agent is OOO, correct?

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Yep, that's roughly what we built. A future enhancement is to read the user's out-of-office status directly from Exchange, instead of relying on them to remember to set their status in both Exchange and SCSM.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Are you saying this is coming or I should consider solving?

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Are you asking if that future enhancement is coming from Microsoft? I would guess no since, in my opinion, it is a very specific business use-case. I mentioned it so you could consider an alternative to requiring a user to update their "out of office" status in two different places :) It's something I want to build here where I work, that's all.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Yes I was and thanks for the info.  If I resolve that I will make sure to update the thread with the info on how to.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:38 PM