none
Exchange server, Outlook 2010, Roaming Profiles, and Internet Email RRS feed

• Question

• I've never run an exchange server before but my companies owners are considering one for the use of Roaming email between computers.  However, they do not want want to leave our current Internet Email provider of Rackspace.  My main concern is this. Is it possible to use an exchange server to connect to the Rackspace servers via POP to download what the servers have and to send/receive through them. With that asked, is it then possible to setup to Outlook 2010 profiles to roam with the RUP so when they log into a machine and open Outlook on a machine the profile is already configured and achieve a seamless transition to a new machine?

Monday, September 24, 2012 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi

You can get 3rd party tools which will download POP mail to an Exchange server but there is no native way to do this.  Domain member machines will basically configure themselves automatically (a couple of clicks when starting Outlook) and you can use Outlook Anywhere to configure machines automatically and provide an Outlook connection over the Internet. 

Depending on how many users you have it may be cost effective to use a hosted Exchange solution provided by Rackspace or Microsoft.

Steve

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:00 PM