Searching For Credential Tiles RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I'm currently having issues on a laptop running Vista Ultimate where everytime you try to connect using RDP to another server it tries to search for credential tiles...it doesn't give you the option to enter a username and password.

I did some research and found out about the Managed Network passwords, after adding in the password I needed to use to access the remote server it still couldn't locate it in the credential tiles search box!

When you try and cancel out of the credential tiles dialouge box it stalls the application and can only be stopped via task manager.

This issue however isn't only related to RDP it also happened when I tried to add the computer to the domain, it wouldn't allow me to put a username and pwd in, instead opening up the credential tile box again!

It is becomming increasingly fustrating!

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ryan.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Let's perform a Clean Boot at first. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

1) Run MSCONFIG.EXE. (MSCONFIG is a built-in tool for Windows XP\2003 systems.)

2) In the Services tab, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click "Disable All".

3) In the Startup tab, click "Disable All". Click OK. (This will temporarily prevent third-party programs from running automatically during start-up.)

4) Restart the computer. Does the problem still persist?

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Also, please try to reboot to safe mode and check whether the problem still happens.

Additional information:

Vista Remote Desktop Connection Authentication FAQ
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ts/archive/2007/01/22/vista-remote-desktop-connection-authentication-faq.aspx#_Saved_credentials_do

Hope it helps.

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Let's perform a Clean Boot at first. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

1) Run MSCONFIG.EXE. (MSCONFIG is a built-in tool for Windows XP\2003 systems.)

2) In the Services tab, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click "Disable All".

3) In the Startup tab, click "Disable All". Click OK. (This will temporarily prevent third-party programs from running automatically during start-up.)

4) Restart the computer. Does the problem still persist?

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Also, please try to reboot to safe mode and check whether the problem still happens.

Additional information:

Vista Remote Desktop Connection Authentication FAQ
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ts/archive/2007/01/22/vista-remote-desktop-connection-authentication-faq.aspx#_Saved_credentials_do

Hope it helps.

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:55 AM
  •  

WOW, long time since I looked back at this thread.

The clean boot did not work correctly.

I'm still unsure of what the problem may be, I don't particuarly want to reload the unit!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:17 AM