Retrieving emails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have an odd one, well... I couldn't find anything when I Googled it.

I recently messed up (oops). My boss asked me to redirect emails to his account while a staff member was away (I know I should have made a transport rule, but I didn't).

The staff member that received the emails has subsequently deleted all the emails but the staff member has returned and needs 80% of the deleted emails. I loaded the other email account onto a spare box and I can see all the deleted mails that he has deleted (pretty much ever). The only thing is I cannot differentiate what emails were for the other staff member.

Has anyone any ideas as to how I might get around this?

Cheers,
    Dave

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:59 PM

Answers

• Have a look thru the message tracking logs. There may be a "REDIRECT" event. I know that's true if an "Alternate Recipient" was used in the AD, but I'm not sure if it's true for a mailbox rule.

The original recipients name should be in the "RECEIVE" event, though. That may be enough for you to find the messages in the other mailbox using the message subject (also present in the log) and the time/date.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

• Proposed as answer by Edward van BiljonMVP Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, September 1, 2014 2:17 AM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:59 PM

All replies

• If you have no copy of the email in the original email box you will just have to hand pick through them all and restore them back to their destination.

• Proposed as answer by J.healy Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:43 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 9:27 PM
  • I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer!

Thanks for the reply.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:16 PM
  • If you need to silently copy messages to another employee while the recipient is on vacation or whatnot you need to use a Transport Rule or you can make the Automatic Reply rules in outlook for the recipient to forward messages to another user while they are out.  This is not silent per sey but will give you the same effect if you copy the message.  By using the transport method you can copy the message to the other employee and also to an auditor mailbox.  Then if the other employee deletes anything you will have a backup in the auditor's mailbox to restore from.  After your retention period expires you can then delete the auditors mailbox messages.  This will give you a nice way to keep the emails clean and also have a backup if needed.

Please remember to mark answers correct if they were helpful and good luck!

Jeff H.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:27 PM
  • Have a look thru the message tracking logs. There may be a "REDIRECT" event. I know that's true if an "Alternate Recipient" was used in the AD, but I'm not sure if it's true for a mailbox rule.

The original recipients name should be in the "RECEIVE" event, though. That may be enough for you to find the messages in the other mailbox using the message subject (also present in the log) and the time/date.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

• Proposed as answer by Edward van BiljonMVP Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, September 1, 2014 2:17 AM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:59 PM