none
Deleted items retention

Question

• Hi,

Our current deleted items retention policy is 4 days. I want to change the exiting retention policy to Never. I changed the retention tag and policy. How will I force update on all the mailboxes? Will it get automatically applied?

What will happen to the emails that already have the 4 day retention policy applied?

Please advise.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 12:21 AM

Answers

• Hello,

In Exchange 2013 and later, it uses a work cycle model (by default, 1 day)to define how mailbox folder assistants perform working.  (Get-MailboxServer | FL Identity,*WorkCycle*).

Also, we can run "Start-ManagedFolderAssistant" to immediately start messaging records management (MRM) processing of mailboxes and apply retention policy, and also tag.

Therefore, we can run below command to apply it:
    Get-Mailbox | Start-ManagedFolderAssistant

Once it complete, restart Outlook client, and check the retention policy on folder's property, also check the expire information for message.
    Figure as below:

More details about it, for your reference:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/anya/2014/11/19/understanding-of-managed-folder-assistant-with-retention-policies/

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DNair Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

In Exchange 2013 and later, it uses a work cycle model (by default, 1 day)to define how mailbox folder assistants perform working.  (Get-MailboxServer | FL Identity,*WorkCycle*).

Also, we can run "Start-ManagedFolderAssistant" to immediately start messaging records management (MRM) processing of mailboxes and apply retention policy, and also tag.

Once it complete, restart Outlook client, and check the retention policy on folder's property, also check the expire information for message.
    Figure as below:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/anya/2014/11/19/understanding-of-managed-folder-assistant-with-retention-policies/

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:25 AM
  • Hello,

Figure as below:

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

• Marked as answer by DNair Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Thank you. It worked.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:19 AM
  • I have one more question.

How can I find the current settings for the Recover deleted items in Exchange 2013. How will I change that to Never ?

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:26 PM