SiteCollection and contentDB RRS feed

• Question

• Can we create separate ContentDB for sitecollection?

Can we rename ContentDB ?

Can associate disconnect with contentDb and attach to another contentDB?

Thanks,

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:46 PM

Answers

• 1) Create a new content database, then create a new Site Collection via the PowerShell cmdlet New-SPSite, specifying the -ContentDatabase switch with the name of the new database. Alternatively, set the maximum number of sites equal to the current number of sites on the old content database, and the new site will be created in the new content database.

2) Yes, detach it from SharePoint, rename it, then re-attach it.  You can do this with PowerShell, Disconnect-SPContentDatabase "OldName", use SQL Management Studio to rename, then Mount-SPContentDatabase "NewName" -WebApplication http://webAppUrl

3) Not sure what you mean here.  If you're asking if you can move a Site Collection to a different content database, yes, with Move-SPSite.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Ramakrishnaraja Monday, December 2, 2013 6:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Friday, December 6, 2013 3:06 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 5:56 PM

All replies

• Can we create separate ContentDB for sitecollection? -Yes

Can we rename ContentDB ? -Not sure

Can associate disconnect with contentDb and attach to another contentDB? -Not Sure

Artificial intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Can we create separate ContentDB for sitecollection? -Yes

How to create separate Content db for sitecollection, normally when we create Web Application, it creates Content DB and everthing goes into it related to web aplication.

how can we have content DB  for site collection  ?

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:55 PM
  • 1) Create a new content database, then create a new Site Collection via the PowerShell cmdlet New-SPSite, specifying the -ContentDatabase switch with the name of the new database. Alternatively, set the maximum number of sites equal to the current number of sites on the old content database, and the new site will be created in the new content database.

2) Yes, detach it from SharePoint, rename it, then re-attach it.  You can do this with PowerShell, Disconnect-SPContentDatabase "OldName", use SQL Management Studio to rename, then Mount-SPContentDatabase "NewName" -WebApplication http://webAppUrl

3) Not sure what you mean here.  If you're asking if you can move a Site Collection to a different content database, yes, with Move-SPSite.

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Ramakrishnaraja Monday, December 2, 2013 6:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Friday, December 6, 2013 3:06 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 5:56 PM
  • To create a new Content Database, go to Central Admin -> Manage content databases, select your Web Application, then click Add a content database. Or use New-SPContentDatabase from PowerShell.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:58 PM