none
MS Project Standard 2010 - Split Screen - why doesn't it allow this? RRS feed

• Question

• I hope someone can help me with this.  I feel certain that this functionality was available in previous versions of MS Project.

Here's my problem.  I want to have Gantt chart in the top window, and Task Usage in the bottom, so when I click on a task in my regular Gantt chart (set up with all my formatting, filters etc), I can justsee the task usage related to the highlighted task in the Gantt. 

I can't seem to do this, and it's driving me bananas.  Any suggestions?

Friday, August 23, 2013 8:24 PM

All replies

• Never had a problem doing that. You are clicking in the lower pane to make it active, then selecting task usage?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Hi,

In 2010, to split the screen, show the View ribbon and check the Details checkbox. After that averything worlks as in the previous versions.

Greetings,

Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Hi, no, I tried both of these.  If I click, type, absolutely ensure that the bottom screen is clicked, then click on any other view, it changes the top.  Help?

I used to have Gantt chart in the top, and Task Usage in the bottom in previous versions of Project (in a different company).  This one, I have teh Gantt chart, select the bottom screen, then click on Task Usage, and the top one changes. 

Now it's started not expanding/collapsing summary tasks when I clickon the - button.  Sigh...

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Anyone4Tea --

Given your struggles with Microsoft Project 2010, have you considered simply created a new custom combination view to show what you want?  Here is how to create the view you want to see:

1. Open any project in which you want to use the view.
    2. Click the Task tab to display the Task ribbon.
    3. In the View section of the Task ribbon, click the Gantt Chart pick list button and select the More Views item at the bottom of the menu.
    4. In the More Views dialog, click the New button.
    5. In the Define New View dialog, select the Combination View option, and then click the OK button.
    6. In the View Definition dialog, enter a unique name for your new custom view.
    7. In the View Definition dialog, select the Gantt Chart view in the Primary View pick list, and select the Task Usage view in the Details Pane pick list, and then click the OK button.
    8. In the More Views dialog, select the new custom view if necessary, and then click the Apply button.

You should now see the view you want to see.  In addition, there is a new feature in Microsoft Project 2010 that automatically copies your new custom view to your Global.mpt file so that you can use the new view in every current and future project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:14 PM
  • It sounds as though there are more issues going on.  Can you log on to your machine with another user profile and check to see if all works as expected?
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Hi Anyone4Tea --

I recommend Dale's solution if you want to create a new custom combination view in Microsoft Project; this will allow you to easily switch to that new view anytime with only a couple of mouse clicks.

However, if you want to only occasionally view your project with the Gantt Chart in the upper half of your screen and the Task Usage in the lower half, try this:

• Appy a Gantt Chart view as you normally would in MS Project.
    • Click the 'View' tab to display the 'View' ribbon, then select the 'Details' option in the 'Split View' section of the ribbon.
    • In the 'Details' panel that appears in the lower half of your MS Project window, right-click on the narrow 'Task Form' bar (usually colored gray) that runs vertically down the left side of the 'Details' panel.
    • In the shortcut menu that appears, select the 'Task Usage' view.

Good luck!

-- tz

Tony Zink | Vice President, EPMA | http://www.epmainc.com | Blog: http://www.epmablog.com | Training: http://www.epmainstitute.com

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:51 PM