none
Script for Outlook 2007 to move attachments to desktop and rename attachments. RRS feed

• Question

• My apologies if this is in the wrong "Discussion area" if so, please let me
    know where it needs to go and I will repost it.

Also, Please forgive me as I am NOT a scripter... I do not know coding, but am finding
    myself in need of a script... I can copy and paste, and know enough to make adjustments

to wording as necessary, but lack the knowledge of how to write my own code.  Please help me.

I currently recieve about 50 emails DAILY with attachments in each of them 
    within outlook on my network.  I need a script that will copy the
    attachments from the emails, and then paste them into a special folder
    on my desktop.  I would like to have the script also rename the attachments
    to a date based upon when the email was received. (ex: 18OCTOBER)

To be more specific, this is what I am trying to accomplish:

There are 2  folders on my desktop called "TRUCKS" and "CARS". 
    Within each of those Folders are other folders named "2011", "2012", "2013", and "2014".

I receive about 20-25 emails daily going to a folder called "INCOMING TRUCKS" in 
    Outlook. The email always contains an attachment called "AD Form.pdf".
    I need to copy this "AD Form.pdf" from my Outlook email and have the
    attachment placed in the 2014 Folder of the TRUCKS folder on my desktop,
    (and come next year, go to the 2015 folder...that I will create later)
    Then I would like to script to Rename the "AD Form.pdf" attachment to 
    "18 OCTOBER.pdf" (The date I received the email)...

AND 

I also receive about 25-30 emails daily going to my "INCOMING CARS" folder from my 
    Outlook account. The emails contain attachments called "AD Form.pdf".
    I need to copy this "AD Form.pdf" attachment from my Outlook email and have the
    attachment placed in the 2014 Folder of the CARS folder on my desktop,
    (and come next year, go to the 2015 folder...that I will create later)
    Then I would like to script to Rename the "AD Form.pdf" attachment to 
    "18 OCTOBER.pdf" (The date I received the email)...

I would need this script to go through all of the emails within
    the INCOMING TRUCKS and INCOMING CARS folder and once complete,
    give an "alert" type of message saying "Process complete!" for me 
    to click on an "OK" button.

I do hope that I explained this well enough to be understood.

Is there a script out there that already does this? 
    If so, please point me to it, as I have not been able to find it through 
    Google, or any other sites I have looked into (Been looking for over 3 
    weeks now).

If not, I am wondering if this can even be done by scripts?
    Right now I am manually doing all of this work, and it takes about 
    20 minutes of my time away from handling other items that need my 
    attention.  I am hoping a script can do this for me in less than 20 seconds.

I understand if for a script to work, I have to be there and open programs or folders to
    make it work.  If Anyone can assist, it would be greatly appreciated.

My Specifics, if needed...I have a Windows XP-SP3 Desktop PC, and I use Office 2007.  This is NETWORK computer at work. The IT guy "doesn't get paid to write scripts."  :(

Email me direct to: LDJ1969@hotmail.com 

Thanks again for any assistance.  

Monday, November 10, 2014 10:20 PM

Answers

• Please understand that this forum is moderated by volunteers, and as such we don't really have the resources to write scripts on demand. The kind of thing you're looking for is probably possible using Outlook macros, but I doubt someone is going to to write all of the code for you from afar for free. If this is critical to your business, it sounds like you will need to hire an outside consultant.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Oulook_guy Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:00 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 10:24 PM

All replies

• Please understand that this forum is moderated by volunteers, and as such we don't really have the resources to write scripts on demand. The kind of thing you're looking for is probably possible using Outlook macros, but I doubt someone is going to to write all of the code for you from afar for free. If this is critical to your business, it sounds like you will need to hire an outside consultant.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Oulook_guy Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:00 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 10:24 PM
  • I am wondering if this can even be done by scripts?

Right now I am manually doing all of this work, and it takes about 
    20 minutes of my time away from handling other items that need my 
    attention.  I am hoping a script can do this for me in less than 20 seconds.

Yes, this can be done with scripts, e.g. with VBScript. Script execution time should be between one and two wooshes. To save you 20 minutes each day someone will need to invest perhaps half a day to write the script, debug it, fine-tune it and document it. As Bill Stewart suggests, this is far beyond giving you some hints. You will need to pay a consultant to create this time-saver for you.
    Monday, November 10, 2014 11:11 PM
  • In Outlook you can define a script rule for incoming mail.  It can do all of this automatically and unattended.

I agree with others.  You can have a trained and experienced consultant do this in less than a half day for a fee.

I do these things all of the time.

20 minutes a day at $35+ per hour for one year is 365/3 or about 100 hours * $35.  That is $3500 in savings.  I will do this for you for $350 per hour in 4 hours.  That is $1400.  That is a savings of $2100 dollars in the first year.

Send me a $1000 deposit and we can get this done by the end of your week.

;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Monday, November 10, 2014 11:47 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 11:40 PM
  • Thank you to all who answered... I did hire someone based upon your responses, and he was able to do it in about 2 1/2 hours.  We tested it this morning and it worked perfectly.  

As to JRV's comments, Thank you for that rather generous offer, but the guy I hired only charged $125.00

Thanks again to all who replied.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Thank you to all who answered... I did hire someone based upon your responses, and he was able to do it in about 2 1/2 hours.  We tested it this morning and it worked perfectly.  

As to JRV's comments, Thank you for that rather generous offer, but the guy I hired only charged $125.00

Thanks again to all who replied.

I'll have a word with the scripters union about him.  We will likely banish him to some very cold place.

;)

2 1/2 seems about right and you did get a pretty low prove for todays market.  Don't lie the guy get away.  Good techs are getting scarce.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:07 PM