none
BMR backup fails only when done via DPM - specified backup disk cannot be found RRS feed

• Question

• My BMR backup is failing for a particular protected server.  The reason provided in the WindowsServerBackup log file is "Backup of volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume1\ has failed. The specified backup disk cannot be found."

I have verified that BMR backups using Windows Server Backup work when sent to other network shares.  I have also removed and recreated the protection in DPM in case some permissions were incorrect.

The error in DPM is:

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code:  0x45D8BD0). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990ED0)

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this one? 

I can't see anything that is setup on this server that is different from all the others that we're successfully backing up.

Rob

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You mentioned that you had stopped protection and re-protected - did you delete replica when you stopped protection ?

Replica volume has only these permissions.

Domain\PSMachineName$:(F)
    NT AUthority\System:(F)

You can list the share on the dpm server using net view \\dpmserver, then you can try backing up to the replica directly using the manual backup method by following these steps on the PS.

1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com

2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)

3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system

4)      Run wbadmin and backup to \\dpmserver\replica-share

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by ip-rob Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is nothing that DPM does different, it simply launches the Windows Server Backup by running the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\BmrBackup.cmd and passing it the DPM share name for the %1 parameter.

The contents of the Bmrbackup.cmd should match this.

<snip>

@echo off

if not exist %SystemRoot%\system32\wbadmin.exe goto returnError

rem Start a wbadmin.exe to create a BMR backup
    start  /WAIT %SystemRoot%\system32\wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:%1

rem If return error code, Pass this error code to caller else check whether it actually succeeded or not
    if %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 goto returnSuccess
    exit /B %ERRORLEVEL%

:returnSuccess
    exit /B 0

:returnError
    exit /B 1
    >snip<

So if you open an administrative command prompt and CD to C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin and run BmrBackup.cmd \\servername\bmrshare - that is the same thing that DPM runs - see if you get same windows backup error.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:49 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for the comment.  I'm familiar with how the BMR Backup works and all the scripts in the bin directory.  The problem I've run into is that this backup only fails when that command is used pointing to the DPM share.  Since DPM sets up that share and the permissions, it seemed like it might be related to DPM.

My network BMR backups work great except when run via DPM.

What should the permissions on that share be?  And what is the easiest way to check them?

Rob

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:32 PM
  • Hi,

You mentioned that you had stopped protection and re-protected - did you delete replica when you stopped protection ?

Replica volume has only these permissions.

Domain\PSMachineName$:(F)
    NT AUthority\System:(F)

You can list the share on the dpm server using net view \\dpmserver, then you can try backing up to the replica directly using the manual backup method by following these steps on the PS.

1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com

2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)

3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system

4)      Run wbadmin and backup to \\dpmserver\replica-share

• Marked as answer by ip-rob Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:03 PM
  • Mike,

Well, something unusual happened with this evenings backup and it completed successfully.  Nothing changed but I was glad it was successful. 

I use the psexec all the time to access the files on DPM.  I didn't, however, test the backup to the replica share that way.  I'll do that if I run into problems again and that should tell me if it is a share issue or something else.

Rob

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:51 AM
  • Mike,

I noticed I forgot to answer your question.  Yes, I deleted the replica so everything would get recreated.

Rob

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:23 PM