Microsoft System Center Management Pack for SQL Server 2017+ Reporting Services (Native Mode) RRS feed

• Question

• I've imported this MP into 2 environments, and the RunAs profiles do not appear as specified by the MP Guide:

When the management pack is imported for the first time, it creates three new Run As profiles:

 Microsoft SQL Server 2017+ Discovery Run As Profile

 Microsoft SQL Server 2017+ Monitoring Run As Profile

 Microsoft SQL Server 2017+ SCOM SDK Run As Profile

These profiles are not created as named. The 2016 ones aren't used by the MP either, so either these names do not match from the guide to reality, or there's something askew here...
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:51 PM

Answers

• "Latest versions of the SQL Core Library MP are "version agnostic" and the RunAs Profiles are simply named Microsoft SQL Server xxx Run As Profile, without the "2017+" part; so you may want to check if you indeed have the latest version"

That would be the key - the MP documentation does not state this, it states the RunAs profiles with 2017+ are the ones that require configuration. The document should be updated.

These Run As Profiles always had and still have a purpose if you are not using the Health Service SID authentication nor granting rights to Local System account in SQL instances

For PowerBI and/or SSRS, the account used for RunAs has to be granted rights to log in to /Reports and /ReportServer - so the HealthService SID does not work. I'm aware of the usage of these RunAs accounts - my inquiry was "is the document screwed up [it would seem it is], or is the MP somehow not functioning properly?"

The only evidence I had after the import and RTFM was that these RunAs profiles do not exist.

• Marked as answer by HS Brown Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:33 PM

All replies

• A few things here :

- Microsoft SQL Server 2017+ xxx Run As Profiles are contained in the Microsoft SQL Server Core Library MP, not in the  SSRS 2017 one

- This SQL Core Library MP is indeed provided along the SSRS 2017 MP as well as with the SQL Server MP

- Latest versions of the SQL Core Library MP are "version agnostic" and the RunAs Profiles are simply named Microsoft SQL Server xxx Run As Profile, without the "2017+" part; so you may want to check if you indeed have the latest version

- These Run As Profiles always had and still have a purpose if you are not using the Health Service SID authentication nor granting rights to Local System account in SQL instances

- I'm actually not too sure of what your question was :D

• Edited by CyrAz Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:14 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:13 PM
  • "Latest versions of the SQL Core Library MP are "version agnostic" and the RunAs Profiles are simply named Microsoft SQL Server xxx Run As Profile, without the "2017+" part; so you may want to check if you indeed have the latest version"

That would be the key - the MP documentation does not state this, it states the RunAs profiles with 2017+ are the ones that require configuration. The document should be updated.

These Run As Profiles always had and still have a purpose if you are not using the Health Service SID authentication nor granting rights to Local System account in SQL instances

For PowerBI and/or SSRS, the account used for RunAs has to be granted rights to log in to /Reports and /ReportServer - so the HealthService SID does not work. I'm aware of the usage of these RunAs accounts - my inquiry was "is the document screwed up [it would seem it is], or is the MP somehow not functioning properly?"

The only evidence I had after the import and RTFM was that these RunAs profiles do not exist.

• Marked as answer by HS Brown Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:33 PM
  • Most current SQL MP version is 7.0.15.0 which can download from.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56203

In this MP version, all run as profile is
       Microsoft SQL Server Discovery Run As Profile

Microsoft SQL Server Monitoring Run As Profile

Microsoft SQL Server SCOM SDK Run As Profile

Roger
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:46 AM