Slicers vanishing when modifying MDX in ProClarity RRS feed

• Question

• I have some proclarity views that are running a bit slow, however when i modify the MDX to speed them up, i lose the slicers that i had in the background.  is there a way to modify the MDX in proclarity and still retain the slicers on your view?

-dk
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:27 PM

Answers

• The quick answer is "No".  However, it really depends on what you are doing to modify the MDX.  Anytime you mess with the MDX by hand, ProClarity will treat the query as a "pass-through" query, meaning ProClarity does not parse your MDX to understand what functions you are using but just sends it as-is to the server.  Once the server runs your query and then sends back the results, ProClarity uses the results to re-configure the Setup Panel by individually selecting the members that were returned.  If you are not using multi-dimensional sets (sets that return members from more than one hierarchy) in your custom MDX, you could possibly accomplish the same thing by creating client-side Named Sets.  If you use Named Sets to construct your query, you can still create slicers.

If you are not sure if you can create a Named Set from your custom MDX, feel free to paste an example of the MDX here and I, or someone else, can show you how to turn it into Named Sets.

Regards,

Jason
    BTG Services
    • Marked as answer by d5klein Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

• The quick answer is "No".  However, it really depends on what you are doing to modify the MDX.  Anytime you mess with the MDX by hand, ProClarity will treat the query as a "pass-through" query, meaning ProClarity does not parse your MDX to understand what functions you are using but just sends it as-is to the server.  Once the server runs your query and then sends back the results, ProClarity uses the results to re-configure the Setup Panel by individually selecting the members that were returned.  If you are not using multi-dimensional sets (sets that return members from more than one hierarchy) in your custom MDX, you could possibly accomplish the same thing by creating client-side Named Sets.  If you use Named Sets to construct your query, you can still create slicers.

If you are not sure if you can create a Named Set from your custom MDX, feel free to paste an example of the MDX here and I, or someone else, can show you how to turn it into Named Sets.

Regards,

Jason
    BTG Services
    • Marked as answer by d5klein Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:02 PM
  • thanks Jason - that is good info to know...have a good one!
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:22 PM