Wallpaper Slideshow Slowing System Down RRS feed

• Question

• I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.  If not I'd appreciate someone pointing me to the correct one...

Ever since I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 I've been chasing a performance issue.  I noticed that the longer my system ran before a reboot the slower things were, most notably Outlook.  I noticed that my system would get progressively slower to the point where it would take Outlook as much as 10 seconds to insert my signature in a message, an action that usually happens immediately. 

I tried everything I could think of to fix it including uninstalling Office and reinstalling but it never got any better.  I would notice it getting slower within about 24 hours.

But the problem didn't just affect Outlook, it was just the most obvious.  I also noticed that there were pauses when I was typing text in a simple text file and pauses in many other things. 

Yesterday I was creating a new folder and was halfway through typing in the name and suddenly there was a pause and then the name reset to "New Folder" and was no longer in the "type in new name" mode or whatever you might call it.  I tried several times and was unable to give the folder a new name.  Finally I realized that it was happening whenever my desktop wallpaper changed.

I have quite a few wallpaper images that I like and I have a slideshow setup to change them at the fastest rate of 30 seconds.  I finally realized that every time the wallpaper changed my system was effectively pausing everything.

I've been running it this way since Windows 7 and it's never been an issue until the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

I went to the wallpaper settings and selected only 1 image which turned the slideshow off and now my system is performing normally so there must be some type of problem with the slideshow.  I wouldn't have thought they'd change something so simple with an upgrade like this.

Has anyone else noticed this problem or am I the only one?  I searched the forums and couldn't really find anything except for a message where someone talked about the slideshow hogging memory but in the end he realized he'd misinterpreted the data.  I would imagine that most people set the wallpaper change period to a much longer time so it might take several days for them to notice a problem.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:23 PM

Answers

All replies