Migration from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012, multi forest management RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Current setup: SCCM 2007 R3 installed on Forest 1. Managing Forest 1 and Forest 2 clients.

Future setup: SCCM 2012 R2 will be installed on Forest 2 and will manage Forest 1.

My question: 

I do not want anything to break in the current setup while i installed SCCM 2012 R2 in the new forest, I will not update any client.

Any specific consideration i need to do ?

MCP,MCTS(Vista),MCSA(Messaging)

Sunday, March 6, 2016 10:48 PM

Answers

• I do not want anything to break in the current setup while i installed SCCM 2012 R2 in the new forest, I will not update any client.

Dear Sir,

Some objects will change when migrated from CM07 to CM12. You may need to read documents planning for migration.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg681981.aspx

Have you done the migration before? If it's the first time you'll migrate, I suggest you to try on test lab first to get familiar with migration process. There are a log of blogs and articles and you can take a look and TechNet virtual lab give you test lab.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Frank Dong Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:19 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Just like Eswar writes, the biggest concern would be to make sure that you don't get any overlapping boundaries published in both forests. You can control this by not publishing data to Active Directory while you're setting up the new environment, and when ready for migration, you can disable it on the old Site and enable it on the new.

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @NickolajA

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:13 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 9:47 AM

All replies

• Any specific consideration i need to do ?

Not really, you can install Configmgr 2012 (with new site code) ,migrate the tasks what you want from CM07 (if at all you need) ,otherwise ,you are good to go. But make sure when you install CM12 client ,try to remove the boundaries from CM07 and have boundaries in CM12.

You can go with Configuration manager Current branch instead of CM12.

Eswar Koneti | Configmgr Blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti | Twitter: eskonr

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:51 AM
  • I do not want anything to break in the current setup while i installed SCCM 2012 R2 in the new forest, I will not update any client.

Dear Sir,

Some objects will change when migrated from CM07 to CM12. You may need to read documents planning for migration.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg681981.aspx

Have you done the migration before? If it's the first time you'll migrate, I suggest you to try on test lab first to get familiar with migration process. There are a log of blogs and articles and you can take a look and TechNet virtual lab give you test lab.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 7, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Just like Eswar writes, the biggest concern would be to make sure that you don't get any overlapping boundaries published in both forests. You can control this by not publishing data to Active Directory while you're setting up the new environment, and when ready for migration, you can disable it on the old Site and enable it on the new.

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:13 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Boundary/groups for content location can overlap without any issues. It's even supported. The only unsupported thing is overlapping boundary/groups for site assignment.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, March 7, 2016 10:37 AM
  • Boundary/groups for content location can overlap without any issues. It's even supported. The only unsupported thing is overlapping boundary/groups for site assignment.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Correct, but since we don't know much about the setup, it's worth mentioning :)

Monday, March 7, 2016 10:55 AM