Skype for Business Server Licensing (Server and Client) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.

I know there’s some related questions about this, but still I’m not sure if I fully understand it.

I’m designing a proposal for a customer around this scenario:

• 110 users
    • No IP telephony
    • Only for IM, share documents, web conference (internal and external)

I’m considering a minimal topology (standard server, edge server, reverse proxy server)

I need to license:

• 1x Standard Server (Skype)
    • 110x Standard CAL for IM
    • 100x Enterprise CAL for audio, video and web conferencing

Am I right?

What about Skype for Business 2019 client?

I’m not sure if customer has MS Office Pro Plus. What if he doesn’t?

Is there any way to add it as a standalone?

Thank you for your time.

Friday, August 16, 2019 10:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, you’re right. If they don't have Microsoft Office Pro Plus you can always use the basic version of the client. That is, if you have planned to not use enterprise voice, archiving and compliance features.

Microsoft Skype for Business Basic is available for download here.

Please 'Vote as helpful' if this post helps you and 'Mark as answer' if the reply answered your question. This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Friday, August 16, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Thank you.

That's the only option, then? If they don't have MS Office Pro Plus, the alternative is to use Basic version?

Friday, August 16, 2019 3:56 PM
  • Hi ManuelMonteiro,

Skype for Business Basic is a free download that has a minimum set of features: instant messaging (IM), audio and video calls, online meetings, availability (presence) information, and sharing capabilities. As below:

For details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/clients-and-devices/desktop-feature-comparison#client-limitations

Skype for Business client is part of Office application, if your customers don’t have Office license, I suggest using the Basic client.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:37 AM