Windows Update - Continuous Mode RRS feed

• Question

• As is the case in all large environments and perhaps in home environments as well, newly installed instances of Windows or even ones that have been offline for extended time, need to have all Updates download and installed.

Assuming the local Windows Updated Agent is configured, waiting on the scheduled time (and day) to occur an fully execute is not sufficient when trying to rapidly get a machine compliant with updates and ready for a user to use.  I have seen some crafty solutions to artificially force the local agent to download and install updates but none that are greatly reliable or centrally manageable through reboots.

Does anything exist that can put Windows into a Continuous Update mode, meaning it downloads, installs, reboots, and repeats until there are no more applicable updates (meeting its configured criteria)?  This assumes that Pre-Boot Authentication is not an issue. Ideally something would be displayed to any interactive user that happens to logon, indicating that Windows is in this mode and if needed allow them (with elevated rights) to pause or exit that mode.

If nothing exists, how can I get this submitted to Microsoft as Windows Feature request?

• Edited by RESQ20 Monday, April 20, 2015 5:48 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As we know, we can set automatic update, this can have Windows install important updates as the updates become available, this is a good choice for most users which is also meet your demand. And if you configure a scheduled update task, then it can only be executed on a scheduled time, not in continuous Mode.  

So, if you want to rapidly get a machine compliant with updates, I recommend you use automatically update.

If I'm misunderstanding something, please free correct me.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:40 AM