Install SharePoint Security Update on server in multiple servers farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have production SharePoint 2013 farm with multiple SharePoint servers
    3 APPs servers
    3 WFE servers and they are load balancing.

I plan to install SharePoint Security Updates on the servers and do it one at a time or at most, one WFE and one Application server at a time. 
    By doing this way,  I hope to be able to install SharePoint SU without causing a SharePoint services outage as much as possible.

On my test farm, with only one App and one WFE,  when I install SharePoint SU update on WFE server,  SharePoint service does actually go down with "Service not available"  message.

I don't have a multi servers test farm to check if my assumption is correct, so if anyone have done this on multiple servers or have information on installing SharePoint SU,  please advice.

Thanks

Swanl

Monday, May 13, 2019 9:11 PM

Answers

• Your app servers shouldn't be part of a load balancer, so those you can likely update without issue as long as your service apps/search is properly distributed across them.

As for your FEs, yes do as you said -- bring a server out of the load balancer, patch, re-add.

Don't forget you must run the Config Wizard on all of your servers. This will cause a farm-wide outage on the first server you run it but you can then use the load balancer technique with your FEs.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:20 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 11:54 PM

All replies

• Your app servers shouldn't be part of a load balancer, so those you can likely update without issue as long as your service apps/search is properly distributed across them.

As for your FEs, yes do as you said -- bring a server out of the load balancer, patch, re-add.

Don't forget you must run the Config Wizard on all of your servers. This will cause a farm-wide outage on the first server you run it but you can then use the load balancer technique with your FEs.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:20 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 11:54 PM
  • Hi,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best Regards,

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:00 AM
  • Hi Trevor

Thanks you for your advice.  That helps me a lot.

Swanl

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by swanl98 Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:29 PM