Is Invoke-CsComputerFailOver really needed when patching Skype for Business? RRS feed

• Question

• As the title asks is Invoke-CsComputerFailOver in fact required to patch Skype for Business Enterprise setup? The reason I ask is so far I have had nothing but trouble running this command when attempting to patch my front end servers. The command either hangs up initially on the “Fail over computer” stage or if I use the -force command it will get to “waiting for fabric node status update” and not progress further.

I have an Enterprise setup with three front end servers in the pool. Along with 2 SQL Servers in a mirror setup. Currently my Skype for Business deployment is not in full production yet so there are no real users on it other then testers. So is it not possible just to run the stop-cswindowsservices on my front end server one at a time, patch them and then run start-cswindowsservices to bring them back? The goal is to just get them patched to the latest version. I am not concerned at this point with making sure users get gracefully moved over to another front end server or anything like that. Just want to get them patched tot he latest version.

Nicholas

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I only use it when multiple reboots is needed, you don't need to wait before fabric and pool is ready again after multiple reboots. Also for failing computer is best to use invoke-cscomputerfailover. stop-cswindowsservice will do if you only need to reboot once after installing updates.

Before stoping check your get-cspoolfabricstate -poolfqdn <fepool fqdn> and Get-CsPoolUpgradeReadinessState if everything is working fine with your pool.

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Er-D Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:30 PM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Er-D Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:25 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

Agree with Er-D.

As a supplement, please refer to the following document about “How to update or patch Skype for Business Server
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31072.how-to-update-or-patch-skype-for-business-server.aspx

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:21 AM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update about this issue?

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 27, 2017 9:52 AM