Problem accessing files help please? RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi everyone.

I have a problem with my 1 month old Windows 7 laptop. For some reason it cannot access any files even though they are definitely there. Its kind of hard to explain but for example when I'm trying to install my new printer I have the software installation CD-rom I insert it into the computer and it recognizes it. It then says 'run set up' I click on that and then it comes up with a box saying “windows cannot find 'C:/Users/..../Temp/MSETUP4.exe' etc make sure you typed the name correctly and try again”. This means I cannot install any software or use any CD-roms. I also cannot download anything from the internet because when I try the same box comes up saying windows cannot find the file. I notice every time I try to do this the word 'temp' or 'temporary' is in the file name that cannot be found so I'm thinking maybe there is a problem accessing files in my temporary file or something. It's like the files are definitely there because they're on the brand new disk and my computer recognises them but it can't find/access them. I've tried troubleshooting but it once again can't access the file so no luck. I tried running the program that detects errors and it said there was a problem with the computer's administrator but when I clicked it to fix the problem it couldn't access the files. I also tried system restore and restoring my computer to factory settings but it wont work because some vital files are missing.

I've contacted my computer manufacturer but they've been very unhelpful and I've also been searching the internet for a few hours and I cannot find a solution, and I'm now tempted to take it back to the shop. Please help! I have included screen shots to show you the error message I receive. Thanks a lot. :)

Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Firmston,

Since you mentioned that you did a system restore to the factory settings but still have the vital files missing. Contacting the OEM could be the best support.

Before you go to the shop, you can try to do a clean installation. Insert your installation disc, follow the guide to finish it.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, January 31, 2011 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:14 AM