none
DPM2012 - Custom Volume For Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• I’m in the process of creating a new protection group with DPM2012 (Server 2008 R2 with latest updates, DPM 2012 version 4.1.1920.0) and I would like to define a custom volume for the group. On the server I have a 5TB storage device and I have created two partitions, one for replica storage and one for recovery point storage as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757838.aspx and here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj627986.aspx.

Based on the above documentation and other documentation I have found (mostly related to DPM2007 and 2010) I should be able to specify these custom volumes at the time I create the protection group. In reality, when I get to the storage allocation screen I have no choice but to use the DPM storage pool.

How can I set the protection group up in DPM 2012 to use a set of custom volumes?

Thank you,

Monday, February 4, 2013 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Hit the Modify button when on the Review disk allocation screen.

Then select Custom Volume from the storage type drop down. That will then let you select the custom volumes for replica and recovery point.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The devil is in the details.  Customer volumes can only be used for individual protection group members (IE: a single data source), not the entire PG.

<snip>
    In System Center 2012 – Data Protection Manager (DPM), you can assign a custom volume to a protection group member, in place of the DPM storage pool. A custom volume is a volume that is not in the DPM storage pool and is specified to store the replica and recovery points for a protection group member.

Although the DPM-managed storage pool is sufficient for most business needs, you might want a greater amount of control over storage for specific data sources. For example, you have critical data that you want to store using a high-performance logical unit number (LUN) on a storage area network.
    >snip<

Custom volumes do not support co-location of data sources like SQL, hyper-V, or Client protection usually do or support auto grow, so use custom volumes sparingly.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 4, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Fair enough, I can only assign a custom volume to a single member of the protection group, that works for me. How do I do this? The instructions in the referenced link refer to a "Review Disk Allocation" page during the setup or modification of a protection group which I cannot find. After selecting the short-term backup goals the wizard jumps to allocating storage in the storage pool with no option to review or modify.

• Proposed as answer by JeroenDR Monday, June 3, 2013 9:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JeroenDR Monday, June 3, 2013 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Hi,

Hit the Modify button when on the Review disk allocation screen.

Then select Custom Volume from the storage type drop down. That will then let you select the custom volumes for replica and recovery point.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Mike -

Is there a functional difference in servers and client PCs? I can modify the location on my servers but on my clients I do not have the option to add a custom volume.  In a round about way i could have SATA drives in my pool and manually home the servers to faster drives but its kludgy.

• Edited by Sole Sysadmin Friday, April 12, 2013 1:31 PM learned more
    Friday, April 12, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the protection group wizard workflow is completely different between server and client workloads, and as noted, there is no provision for selecting custom volumes for client protection (or any work-load that you want to have co-located) 

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:32 PM