Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. (& I'm close to tears) RRS feed

• Question

• I've already looked at several forums here and on other sites. I've tried registry cleanup software. I've clicked the "Send Error Report" button I don't know how many times to send the report to MS. Over 20+ years and I don't think I've ever run into a problem I couldn't solve on my own with 2-3 days of internet research, some software, and maybe a few calls to some IT friends. But I'm stumped. Alcohol and Xanax are looking pretty good right now.

So, I'm posting my info here and begging for help. But first, I know how to stop the messages. That's not the problem. I NEED to SEE/RECORD TV. Oh, and I can not play DVD's either. I saw that as a test and tried it too.  Media Center's major functionality went up in smoke on morning.

Setup: I've been using Media Center to record TV for years. No problem except for when the Guide won't download but that's another issue and one I feel has to do with people's vacation schedules more than anything else. I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop so I'm using an external TV tuner converter device. Currently, a WinTV-HVR-1950 which doesn't mean much since it functions via USB. Don't use Hauppauge's drivers for any internal device. I do have their software loaded and both have functioned together without problems as long as I don't try and run them at the same time. However, in the past few months the Hauppauge software stopped "seeing" TV but since I don't really use it I didn't care and that's not what this post is about.

Friday night, 8/12, Media Center recorded just fine. I set it up to record for Saturday the following day and shutdown. Automatic updates are turned on. Saturday, turn the laptop on and the error messages start. YES, I did several rollbacks. Still no good. I've been beating my head against a wall ever since. Here's the data:

szAppName : ehrecvr.exe     szAppVer : 5.1.2715.3011     szModName : user32.dll
    szModVer : 5.1.2600.5512     offset : 00009de9 

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please repost your inquiry in the more appropriate Windows XP Answers Forum (TV & Movies).  Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:49 AM
  • I posted in this forum because I searched on my problem and this is the forum the error messages I had were posted in. I just looked at the forum you suggested and it does not appear to have a very technical group, does not allow for detailed postings and I doubt I'll get an answer over there. I've been an IT Pro for over 20+ years. Please don't do a dump job on my question or me. It's not polite. And just so you know, my version of XP is using service pack 3, does that make it applicable to this forum?
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Just a shot in the dark here, not much info to go on. Remove anything DotNet4 related then test.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:23 PM