Embedding Web Content Using Web Browser ActiveX object cannot print? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all Microsoft experts

I have created a word document that has a Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX object in it. This object has the following VB code behind it:

Private Sub Document_Open()
          WebBrowserName.Navigate2 ("http://www.google.com")
    End Sub
    The above works really well in achieving what we're after. However, when we go to print the document, using Microsoft Words standard print capability, the document does not print the content in the Web Browser object, it looks like its replaced by white space. 

Can anyone suggest how I can overcome this? I would like to print everything as per the print preview!

Regards

Wizard

Wizard Lee

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• I could reproduce this behavior in Windows 7 with Office 2010.

Add a button and add the following macro againt it:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    WebBrowser1.Navigate2 "http://www.bing.com"
    End Sub

The Web Browser ActiveX object would appear and shows fine after I click the button.

However, when I print it out via XPS virtual printer, (whatever the printer), button shows fine but  it leaves a blank white space in the area of Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX object. I thought Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX object cannot be printed out from the form and this might be a limataion itself.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:36 AM
  • Hi Tony 

Thanks for the reply.

So, is this a known limitation? In order to present and prove that this is the case to my end users, is there any official documentation out there that states this, say from Microsoft themselves?

Would you happen to know of another way of embedding live web content into a word document, which still allow users to print?

Regards

Singstar 

Wizard Lee

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:25 PM
  • Hi singstar,

I have no such official documentation in my hand so far. Sorry.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, November 4, 2013 5:10 AM