none
How to select and print Gantt chart starting and ending timeline in MS Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to print all of the tasks for my project for a single date to review with my team.  The view includes the tasks for the day and the Gantt chart next to it in hourly increments on the timescale.  We work 24 hrs a day so I set up the calendars and working times accordingly.  I also defined a start time of 12:00AM and end time of 12:00AM for the schedule.  My date and time format default is set to "Wed Jul 21, 2016 10:00 PM".   My timescale is set to days and hours.  When using MS Project 2007, my steps that successfully did this were as follows:

- Filter the tasks for the date in question

- Under Printer Settings, I selected the Print Specific Dates option where I entered the start date and time (12:00AM) and end date and time (12:00AM).

It will print the Gantt chart with all the tasks and their durations starting at 12:00AM and ending at 12:00AM

MS Project 2010 does not have the option to enter in time when selecting the Print Specific Dates option.  When I select a specific date to print, the Gantt chart randomly starts at different times (7:00 AM, 4:00 AM, etc) which is not what I want.   I made sure to format my date with the time added and made sure to define my working start & end times.  This still doesn't work.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks, Eric    

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:54 AM

Answers

• Nightime worker,

I get the same result with a fully updated version of Project 2010 so I understand your consternation.

Unfortunately the Print and Print Preview function of Project 2010 has been a little funky from the get go and updates haven't helped. I haven't tried it, but you might try applying your date filter and then saving the file to PDF. Then print the PDF file as that will isolate you from Project's print issues.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:02 PM

All replies

• Nightime worker,

I get the same result with a fully updated version of Project 2010 so I understand your consternation.

Unfortunately the Print and Print Preview function of Project 2010 has been a little funky from the get go and updates haven't helped. I haven't tried it, but you might try applying your date filter and then saving the file to PDF. Then print the PDF file as that will isolate you from Project's print issues.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:02 PM
  • John,

That is an good suggestion.  I did ask our folks if the latest MSP 2010 updates were applied, but I haven't heard back yet.  Your info suggests it may not help though. 

I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

Regards,

Nightime worker Eric

Friday, August 26, 2016 3:28 AM
  • Eric,

I can assure you updates will not fix this issue as I always keep my version of Project 2010 fully updated and I see the same issue you do.

I'm anxious to hear if the pdf approach works and I think other user might be interested also.

John

Friday, August 26, 2016 1:59 PM
  • I tried this both on 2010 and 2016 with the same results at the OP, and printed to PDF but with no success, ie I couldn't get it to behave as I would have liked  :(

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Friday, August 26, 2016 3:37 PM
  • Ben,

Thanks for the input. Unless someone else has a clever idea and the user really needs a hardcopy, my next suggestion is to export the data to Excel and print from there. That WILL work.

John

Friday, August 26, 2016 3:44 PM
  • John,

I tried your pdf suggestion and it almost worked.  The Gantt starts at 12:00 AM as desired but stops at 9:00 PM consistently for some reason. I did play around with the scaling with no luck. 

Anyway,  I think I am done with this and I will try and pursue getting the IT department to load MSP 2007 for me.  Not sure that is going to happen.  Maybe Microsoft will fix this soon cause it seems like it should work the way I want it to.

I hope I didn't mess up this thread but I did click on one of your replies as "answered".  I thought it was a good answer, but maybe that isn't the intent of that button.  Oh well.

I do appreciate yours and Ben's efforts on this!

Eric

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Eric,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

You're right, I think the print function should work as advertised, but then I think back to the Compare Projects utility that I believe was introduced in Project 2003. Unfortunately that utility didn't get fixed until Project 2010. Ben indicated he couldn't get it to work with Project 2016 either so there might be some chance of it getting fixed for that version. However, for Project 2010 I think you are out of luck. Support that Project 2010 is on the wane and unless there is some yet undiscovered "killer issue", I doubt there will be any more updates for Project 2010.

If I were you, I'd go with a VBA approach and not screw around with trying to get Project 1007 re-installed. Another advantage of the VBA export to Excel is that most likely everyone on your team has Office, so they would be able to view the data without the need to print it out from Project, which not everybody may have.

John

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:28 AM