Windows Explorer freezing RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop freezes every time using Windows Explorer is required. Windows Explorer won't open, it just hangs. Even clicking on a folder causes it to freeze, and saving anything within a programme is also impossible. There are no error messages, and programs are all otherwise working normally. 

Symptom description: No error messages, but while running malware checks, I had got blue screen twice - first Kernel Stack InPage Error then IRQL not less or equal.

Environment: Windows Vista Home Basic SP1, Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, Intel pentium Dual CPU T2310 1.46GHz. 1.50GB RAM. 32 bit OS. No network. 

Any recent relevant configuration change(s): Recently installed AVG 2012.

Any additional information. I've updated malware and anti-virus software and run full scans. I've run disk check, disk clean, registry clean, and checked device manager for conflicts. I installed AVG2012 and uninstalled 2011.

• Edited by caro7 Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:07 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I noticed that AVG was recently installed, could you please disable it to have a test?

If the issue persists, In case the root cause is due to conflict with other third party software, I suggest prepare clean boot to test.

Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

As blue screen was encounter, we can also consider on the device driver side. Please keep driver updated to check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by caro7 Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:54 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I noticed that AVG was recently installed, could you please disable it to have a test?

If the issue persists, In case the root cause is due to conflict with other third party software, I suggest prepare clean boot to test.

Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

As blue screen was encounter, we can also consider on the device driver side. Please keep driver updated to check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by caro7 Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:54 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 7:57 AM
  • Hi

Thankyou, this helped me to identify that it was Vista 'Themes' (the display) that was somehow conflicting with the new AVG 2012. I suppressed Themes, reinstalled AVG 2012, but the blue screen 'Kernel Stack' message kept coming back. So I have uninstalled AVG 2012 again and will hope another anti-virus works OK; keeping 'Themes' suppressed as it's not really causing me any problems to do so. I'll be in touch again if I experience any more problems.

Thanks again for your help.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:54 AM