none
DPM2012 R2 when erase the tape is hang at there RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am facing a problem when DPM2012 erase the media.

Current System:-

Operating System : Windows Server 2012 R2

DPM Version : 2012 R2 version 4.2.1273

Tape Library : DELL PV 124T LTO-6

Auto Loader version : V90.0 (005A.0h)

Drive Version : D8E3

I had execute a command to force-free the tape then erase the media, it took me very long and without showing any progress running. In tape library it is showing writing but there is no progress. Until I had rebooted both and run inventory it show the tape available. Can I know is it hardware causing or the software causing ?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

A DPM erase is a long erase and that simply sends an erase long IOCtl to the tape drive and the drive erases the tape from beginning to end.  The FULL (long) erase times are hardware specific, it's a single IOCTL to the hardware to perform the long erase, then it's up to the drive itself to perform that command / operation.

If you want DPM to send a short erase IOCLT instead, you can set this registry value.

Short Erase

When a user erases a tape, by default, DPM will do a long erase on that tape.  DPM 2010 has introduced the ability to do a short erase now.  Simply navigate to the following registry location and add the DWORD key with the default vale:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
    REG_DWORD:UseShortErase:0x0

Setting to 0(zero) will cause DPM to use a short erase.  In order to set it back to using the long erase, simply delete the key.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

I am facing a problem when DPM2012 erase the media.

Current System:-

Operating System : Windows Server 2012 R2

DPM Version : 2012 R2 version 4.2.1273

Tape Library : DELL PV 124T LTO-6

Auto Loader version : V90.0 (005A.0h)

Drive Version : D8E3

I had execute a command to force-free the tape then erase the media, it took me very long and without showing any progress running. In tape library it is showing writing but there is no progress. Until I had rebooted both and run inventory it show the tape available. Can I know is it hardware causing or the software causing ?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

please take sure you are using the newest IBM Driver and Firmware for your Tape Library, Looks like a Driver Error

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat | youtube.com/techguyat

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

A DPM erase is a long erase and that simply sends an erase long IOCtl to the tape drive and the drive erases the tape from beginning to end.  The FULL (long) erase times are hardware specific, it's a single IOCTL to the hardware to perform the long erase, then it's up to the drive itself to perform that command / operation.

If you want DPM to send a short erase IOCLT instead, you can set this registry value.

Short Erase

When a user erases a tape, by default, DPM will do a long erase on that tape.  DPM 2010 has introduced the ability to do a short erase now.  Simply navigate to the following registry location and add the DWORD key with the default vale:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
    REG_DWORD:UseShortErase:0x0

Setting to 0(zero) will cause DPM to use a short erase.  In order to set it back to using the long erase, simply delete the key.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:50 PM
  • Noted. Mike, I will try your method.

Michael, I will try to update the firmware.

Thanks both of you.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:20 PM