none
Client side shows no backups configured. RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed DPM 2010 on Server 2008 R2. I'm currently testing with a single client running on a Windows Vista notebook. This is a mixed workgroup/domain environment. The server is joined to a domain; the notebook is not. I manually installed the agent on the notebook, and (from the server) configured a few folders to be backed up. This has been working fine from the server side. The agent status show as OK, and I see various restore points available.

What I don't understand is that things look completely different from the client side. Looking at things from the Data Protection Manager Client, the status shows as "Administrator has not configured backups". No folders are shown as selected for protection. No attempted or successful synchronizations are listed. No recovery points can be found.

Why is the client not reflecting what is occurring on the server, and how can I fix this?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

do you see any errors in the client log? (%Program Files%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp)

• Marked as answer by Richard Koett Friday, October 29, 2010 9:37 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

do you see any errors in the client log? (%Program Files%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp)

• Marked as answer by Richard Koett Friday, October 29, 2010 9:37 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response, I got caught up on other issues. Yes, there was an enormous amount of information in the log files you pointed me to. The salient entries appear to be permissions related. Frankly I'm just tired of running into these kind of issues with a mixed workgroup/domain setup, so I'm going to bite the bullet, join my laptop to the domain and see how well "Windows Easy Transfer" works at transferring my settings to a domain user account. I've been getting by till now by using the extremely useful "cmdkey" utility in Vista, but recent experience with getting Hyper-V Manager to work taught me that the mixed environment makes things more difficult than they should be.

Thanks for the pointer to where the log files are located.

Friday, October 29, 2010 9:36 AM