none
Traceing undelivered message outbound Excahnge 2013

Question

• I have a sharp copier that sends out emails internally fine, but fails when sending to a valid external address.

• The copier CAN send an email to an internal address
    • The copier CAN NOT send to an external address
    • From my workstation, I CAN send email to the address in question, and have no issues sending any email
    • When I do a get-messagetrackinglog I can see the good message from the copier to me fine. 
    • When I do a get-messagetrackinglog I CAN NOT see anything (zero) for the failed messages. 

Is there another way to trace this email?  Where would I see if a message is rejected? 

Environment: 1 CAS (SMPT server and receive connectors) 2 MBX servers (sending server)

BlankMonkey

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:22 PM

All replies

• Hi BlankMonkey,

Is MessageTrackingLogEnabled on both MBX servers? Run get-mailboxservers

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

Any NDR returns back?

If there's no record in message tracking log, we may need to enable protocol log on this special receive connector:
    Set-ReceiveConnector <Connector Name> -ProtocolLoggingLevel Verbose
    Then, we can analyze it by Excel.

More information, for your reference:
    Configure protocol logging
    Analyzing the protocol logs and Message tracking logs in Exchange 2013

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Hello again, sorry about the delay.  the web was near un usable yesterday :(

Simon;

Both commands are working, and return results correctly.

Allen;

I turned on verbose logging and the get-messagetrackinglog did not return anything more.  It is as if it never reaches the server, but this can not be turn, because if I send to a local address, it works. 

Is there log that I cam look at that starts earlier in the process?  Or is the very first interaction with exchange in the message tracking?

BlankMonkey

Friday, February 23, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

I suppose that the message don't arrive mail queue, thus I recommend to enable protocol log on relay receive connector, then monitor it if issue re-produces.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:10 AM