none
Group by on summary task and Business person we are placing in text1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are using MS Project 2007 Professional NOT server.

We have a change requests with generally 12 tasks that roll up to each change request. On the summary line Change request task we place one of 5 Business leads that would be in charge of the change request in Text1.

On the individual tasks in Text1 we place another individual that would be the Technical lead of an area. There could be different Technical Leads (We have 14 of Technical leads).

The many resources doing the work are in resource name field.

We want to group the change requests per the 5 Business leads.

What we are after is for each Change requests to show up per Buisiness lead with all the tasks underneath that change request AND we want to do that on the screen NOT in a report.

Example

Pete

CSR 1

Task1

Task2

Tasknnn

CSR14

Task1

Tasknnnn

Tasknnn

June

CSR4

Task1

Tasknnnn

Anyway to do this? 

I have tried a couple different ways but am not getting what I am looking for.

Thanks

Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:47 PM

Answers

• I don't think it's possible.

However, you might be able to get what you want by sorting instead of grouping.  Sort on Text1 and check the box to "Keep outline structure."

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:35 PM

All replies

• Use a different field (say Text2) for your Technical Leads. 
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 2:10 PM
  • We are only interested in grouping by the 5 Business leads. The Business lead names are only on the summary tasks that list each Change request.

So we in essence want to get all Change requests belonging to Pete and be able to list all the tasks for each Change request that Pete has and then June has etc.

It doesn't bring it back that way when I try and group Text 1

Sunday, September 11, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Sorry, I guess I was not explicit enough in my first reply.

For every task that Pete owns (summary task as well as detailed tasks), put Pete in the Text1 field.  Do the same for June.  Then group on Text1.

If you also want to keep track of your Technical Leads, then use Text2 to code each task to its Technical Lead.

Depending on the relationship of Business Leads to Technical Leads in your organization, you might consider using an Outline Code field.  That could be useful to you if each Business Lead is associated with a specific group of Technical Leads.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:07 PM
  • So.....There is no way to show the tasks under the summary Change request for the Business lead without having to also place them in text 1 on each individual task?

I was hoping only to place them on the summary line of each change request in text1 and then to group them by that and also show the 12 tasks that comprise each of the change requests

Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I don't think it's possible.

However, you might be able to get what you want by sorting instead of grouping.  Sort on Text1 and check the box to "Keep outline structure."

Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Thank You Reid!!!

Never would have thought of that.

That worked.

I guess since it is keeping outline structure it is getting the Business leads first since those are in outline level 4 and the tech leds are in outline level 5.

We do have other names in level 2 and outline level 3 and it didn't effect anything their....and I didn't want it to.

ID is the regualr sort option so I can just switch back and forth

Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:49 PM