Sequencing In-House app - multiple exe's. RRS feed

• Question

• If this has been asked before I appoligize.  I'm just now starting to look at App-V so I don't know much about it yet.

I have some in-house developed applications that store their data on a SQL database.  The applications use MS Access 2003 as a front end to this SQL data.  From the MS Access front end MS Word 2003 or MS Excel 2003 are called via macros to build forms.  Since these applications rely on MS Access 2003 and MS Word 2003 can they be virtuialized with App-V?  The command string to run the application is:  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Msaccess.exe" C:\<appname>\<appname>.ade.  They also have a number of OCX addin files for Access that they use, does that matter?

Thanks,

Ken Lutz

Spokane County

Ken Lutz - Spokane County

• Edited by KenLutz Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:44 PM

All replies

• What version of Office do you have deployed to your production desktops? Office 2003?

How do you normally install the application including Office? Run through that process during sequencing; however if you don't want to capture Office in the package, install Office to the sequencing machine before installing the custom application.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Aaron, Thanks for the reply.

We currently have Office 2003 installed on the desktop with XP.  We are converting to Windows 7 and Office 2010.

As to the install method, other than the copying and regsvr32 of the ocx files there is no real install.  The mdb file is copied to the local machine and that's it.

Office 2003 is already on the desktop at this point.  So I guess the install would be to 1) copy the mdb file locally, 2) copy the addin files (OCX and such) locally, 3) regsvr32 the addin files.  That would be it.

How would I sequence this?  I would hate to have to sequence the entire Office 2003 suite.

Ken ...

• Edited by KenLutz Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Hello,

Aarons suggestion is a very good one and summarizes the steps needed;

How do you normally install the application including Office? Run through that process during sequencing; however if you don't want to capture Office in the package, install Office to the sequencing machine before installing the custom application.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Nicke,

If I don't sequence Office 2003 will it need to be installed on the guest machine?  (I'm calling the machine that will be running the virtual app the guest machine.)  The guest machine will not have Office 2003 installed on it.

Here is what I am going to do, will it work?

1) install Office 2003 on the sequence host machine (Windows XP SP3 with no other applications installed, but Office 2003)

2) install App-V sequencer

3) start sequencer

4) copy the files needed for the app, ocx files and mdb files

5) register the ocx files as needed

6) open MS Access with the custom mbd file (this is the application that I want to virtualize)

7) stop the sequencer to create the virtualized application

8) run the virtualized application on the guest machine (Windows 7 SP1 - No Office 2003 installed - will have Office 2010 installed)

Will this work?

Thanks, Ken ...

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Hello,

If Office isn't available inside the package and is not installed natively on the client - I am having a hard time understanding how you want your application to function, if Office 2003 is a requirement?

To verify if this works - I suggest you test it and how this works in your environment

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, May 3, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Nicke,

Thanks for the reply.  This is what I am trying to figure out before I start testing.  At this point it looks like I just need to start testing and see what happens.

Thanks,   Ken ...

Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:38 PM