none
Ms Project 2013 - Rescheduling uncompleted work issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have made a test project attached to demonstrate the issue I experience.

I want to use the Update project - Reschedule uncompleted work but it doesn't take into account tasks which are completed before their expected date..

I have 3 tasks, all are planned to start on the 05.11.15. Task 1 and 2 are 100% completed, Task 3 is 0% completed.

I would expect that if I reschedule uncompleted work to start after the 05.11.15, only work on Task 3 would remain but it's not the case, the project doesn't update, work on Task 1 and 2 is remaining to do as it was on the initial planning.

Notice that if I reschedule uncompleted work to start after the 23.11.15 (past initial planned date), then Task 3 gets correctly rescheduled after that date.

Sample Project File (.mpp)

Any help or hint would be appreciated, probably I am missing something

Gilles Faessler

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Gilles,

As its name tells it, "reschedule uncompleted work" will push forward the uncompleted work. Meaning that the completed tasks will not be rescheduled. This makes sense since a completed tasks hasn't remaining work to be moved, and the actual work cannot and must not be moved. So task 1 and 2 will never moved once completed.

Task 3 has no remaining work before 05/11 so it is not rescheduled as well.

To resume, what you see is the expected and logic behavior. Basically, this option will look at all tasks, check if there is some remaining work before the status date and reschedule it from the status date, changing the finish date of the task.

Does that make sense to you?

Bonne journée.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by Nanoxi Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:19 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Gilles,

As its name tells it, "reschedule uncompleted work" will push forward the uncompleted work. Meaning that the completed tasks will not be rescheduled. This makes sense since a completed tasks hasn't remaining work to be moved, and the actual work cannot and must not be moved. So task 1 and 2 will never moved once completed.

Task 3 has no remaining work before 05/11 so it is not rescheduled as well.

To resume, what you see is the expected and logic behavior. Basically, this option will look at all tasks, check if there is some remaining work before the status date and reschedule it from the status date, changing the finish date of the task.

Does that make sense to you?

Bonne journée.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by Nanoxi Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:19 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:12 AM
  • Hello Guillaume,

Thank you for your answer. I understand better how rescheduling works now, it takes only into accout tasks with remaining work.

The point is that Task 1 and 2 have completed earlier than expected. This means that my ressource are available to start working on task 3 earlier than the initially planned date, how should I manage this correctly ?

Your help would be very appreciated

Gilles

• Marked as answer by Nanoxi Thursday, November 12, 2015 11:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Nanoxi Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:19 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:15 AM