Lync Client Pushed via SCCM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• We recently deployed Lync 2010 Clients to a few PCs via SCCM 2012.  The push installed Lync on each PC successfully.  Now the users who had received Lync via SCCM are continuously prompted to install it again when they attempt to start the program, even though the program is already installed and had been previously used.  This issue does not exist on a PC where the client was manually installed.  

This question may be better suited for the Lync 2010 forum but I wanted to pick the SCCM pro brains first...as always you guys rock!

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How are you pushing Lync out?

Are you using the setup.exe with switches /silent /install or are you using the MSI that the setup.exe extracts?

I found that the MSI tried to clean bits of junk that the EXE leaves behind so rather than alter the MSI decided to go with the exe install.

When a new user logs in the app performs a self repair and adds a few current user reg keys.

Persist in cache option maybe?

I noticed Lync causes an issue with delayed log off too, there is a patch in the form of an MSP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2666324

• Marked as answer by EmbraceDarko Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:25 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 8:20 PM

All replies

• Did the user account that pushed the package have local admin rights on the boxes?  Stupid question, I know, but I have to ask.  Also, what happens when a user with local admin rights opens Lync?  Lastly, what happens when you log into one of the boxes that received a push using the (I assume) service account that was used for the push - as in how does Lync respond then?
    Monday, August 20, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Did the user account that pushed the package have local admin rights on the boxes?  Stupid question, I know, but I have to ask.  Also, what happens when a user with local admin rights opens Lync?  Lastly, what happens when you log into one of the boxes that received a push using the (I assume) service account that was used for the push - as in how does Lync respond then?

@vyndel There is no service account in ConfigMgr and there is no software push account so I'm not sure where you're going with those questions.

@EmbraceDarko Are you directly using an MSI for the installation? What command-line you using to run the install and what privileges have you specified in the program? Have you reviewed the Application Event log?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:03 PM
  • The "service account" that I refer to, Jason, is a generic account that is not a user account.  You can find this information under the Administration > Security > Accounts.  I recommend to set it up this way as you can have the account set to have a password that never expires, or, if someone gets canned everything doesn't break when their account is deleted/disabled.  The service account and the software push accounts are the same (unless created separately for different purposes).
    Monday, August 20, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Thank you guys for the feedback.  The service accounts all have admin rights on the PCs, so I don't believe this is the issue.  I'll have to double check the installer itself and review the application logs.  I'll update in a day with my progress, as always you guys are great!  
    Monday, August 20, 2012 5:47 PM
  • The "service account" that I refer to, Jason, is a generic account that is not a user account.  You can find this information under the Administration > Security > Accounts.  I recommend to set it up this way as you can have the account set to have a password that never expires, or, if someone gets canned everything doesn't break when their account is deleted/disabled.  The service account and the software push accounts are the same (unless created separately for different purposes).

Sorry, but that's not accurate or relevant. There is *no* software push/installation account in ConfigMgr. There is a client agent push account but it has nothing to do with pushing software to clients. In fact, ConfigMgr doesn't really "push" software at all. Clients pull software and the client agent runs as the local System account which means that software is installed as the local system account or the currently logged on user depending upon what is chosen in the program being run. There are no other options.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

How are you pushing Lync out?

Are you using the setup.exe with switches /silent /install or are you using the MSI that the setup.exe extracts?

I found that the MSI tried to clean bits of junk that the EXE leaves behind so rather than alter the MSI decided to go with the exe install.

When a new user logs in the app performs a self repair and adds a few current user reg keys.

Persist in cache option maybe?

I noticed Lync causes an issue with delayed log off too, there is a patch in the form of an MSP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2666324

• Marked as answer by EmbraceDarko Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:25 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Additional info.

To prevent all the clients onsite from doing the initial self repair add these keys to a user logon script.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\IM]
    "SetOnlineStatusLevel"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Communicator]
    "AddToFirewallExceptionList"=dword:00000001
    "AwayThreshold"=dword:00000005
    "IdleThreshold"=dword:00000005
    "Language"=dword:00000409
    "TrustModelData"="online.lync.com, outlook.com, lync.glbdns.microsoft.com"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\PersonaMenu]
    "EnableDynamicPresence"=dword:00000001
    "QueryServiceForStatus"=dword:00000002
    "RTCApplication"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\IM]
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "EnablePresence"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\PersonaMenu]
    "QueryServiceForStatus"=dword:00000002
    "RTCApplication"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\IM]
    " EnablePresence"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{424BE3CD-34AB-4F51-9C57-4341166DC8FA}\iexplore]
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "Flags"=dword:00000004
    "Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{8ABE89E2-1A1E-469B-8AF0-0A111727CFA5}\iexplore]
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "Flags"=dword:00000004
    "Type"=dword:00000001

Friday, September 21, 2012 11:32 AM