Printing Labels to a non-default printer RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to print lables to a non-default printer. Our users have dymo label makers as a second printer. Unless they change the default printer setting prior to starting the label, it prints to the default printer. They want to know why there is no option to print to the label maker just for that job and then it goes back to the default. Thanks.

Steve Erlitz

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Printing labels in Word doesn’t depend on the default printer for Windows. It is based on the printer you select for the document file which you are editing. When you select a non-default printer in Word for the document file, you can print the labels on that printer.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Bklynrr Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:45 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Printing labels in Word doesn’t depend on the default printer for Windows. It is based on the printer you select for the document file which you are editing. When you select a non-default printer in Word for the document file, you can print the labels on that printer.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Bklynrr Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:45 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:31 AM
  • Thats what I told him, But we wanted to do it on the fly....Thanks.

Steve Erlitz

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:47 AM
  • I entered this in another thread but wanted to chime in on this printing issue wherever I find it. I have been a PC user (and even an instructor) since the days of VisiCalc, Lotus 1-2-3, and the first Microsoft products. It has never ceased to amaze me that the most fundamental needs are overlooked. It wastes a lot of my time to constantly have to change the printer just to print an envelope or to print something on letterhead. We have a lot of documents that include one letter on letterhead followed or preceded by several pages that need to print on plain paper. I think I should be able to tell Word that page X is letterhead, and the others default to the plain paper tray or printer. I also should be able to tell the print envelopes feature that envelopes are on printer X or tray X. Then every time I need to print such a document, I just click print for the doc and envelope print for the envelope (I keep an icon for this in my toolbar). We use a legal software package in our office that lets you specify the appropriate printer and tray for reports, general checks, trust checks, labels, receipts, deposit slips, bills and pre-bills! Super easy and convenient. Word processing should be SMART so we don't have to be bothered with these very mundane and never-ending printer issues!! Please, please, take this to the top! Please send your developers to actual real-world users and find out our needs!!!
    Friday, January 3, 2014 8:23 PM