none
Outlook 2016 search - Not working when searching All Mailboxes or All Outlook Items

Question

• After switching computers with a local MSFT Store handling the imaging of my old computer and transferring to a new one, I noticed some issues with Search in Outlook 2016.  The problem is while it seems to find items immediately when searching in Current Folder, Subfolders, or Current Mailbox options, it just hangs when I select all Mailboxes or All Outlook Items.  I mean it just says "searching..." and below that "Find more on the server".  It used to instantly bring up matches.  Even clicking the Find More does not do anything. I have 4 Exchange accounts being managed within one profile so I need to be able to use those search options.

I already deleted and rebuilt the search index in Outlook and nothing changed.

Any ideas on the issue or how I can fix it?

Friday, January 26, 2018 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi sjbsf61

Did you try to recreate the Outlook profile?

Regards

Simon

Friday, January 26, 2018 8:12 AM
  • After switching computers with a local MSFT Store handling the imaging of my old computer and transferring to a new one, I noticed some issues with Search in Outlook 2016.  The problem is while it seems to find items immediately when searching in Current Folder, Subfolders, or Current Mailbox options, it just hangs when I select all Mailboxes or All Outlook Items.  I mean it just says "searching..." and below that "Find more on the server".  It used to instantly bring up matches.  Even clicking the Find More does not do anything. I have 4 Exchange accounts being managed within one profile so I need to be able to use those search options.

I already deleted and rebuilt the search index in Outlook and nothing changed.

Any ideas on the issue or how I can fix it?

I have had exactly the same problem since the latest Windows update was applied 2 days ago

Friday, January 26, 2018 8:44 AM
  • Have this same problem, just started this week. It was working fine until a couple of days ago. The search works if I search a specific folder, but when searching "All Mailboxes," it just hangs up. I tried rebuilding the index, but have the same result. Hopefully, it is just an update issue and will be resolved. I use that feature a lot.
    Friday, January 26, 2018 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

I've the same issue after last update done yesterday.

Now my Outlook version is 16.0.8827.2131 32Bit

Best regards

Friday, January 26, 2018 3:53 PM
  • I've found this tech note that can help on this

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/abd2b81d-a6f8-4939-8f29-20d9e525353c/outlook-search-not-working-as-of-late-january-2018?forum=outlook

Friday, January 26, 2018 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

This is a known issue and the fix is expected in the next major update. Until then, you can workaround the issue by enabling Show as Conversations.

1. In the Outlook Ribbon click the View tab.
    2. Click the check box for Show as Conversations.
    3. Optionally apply to This folder only.

See our official documentation here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/No-Search-results-found-when-using-All-Mailboxes-3a982433-cfdf-46f3-bae1-d9c50d79bebd

Thank you for the understanding and support.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 29, 2018 9:19 AM
  • This workaround doesn't work for me.  I also cannot revert to the previous version as I get an error.  Please fix this asap!
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:43 PM
  • We have this occurring now on 2 pcs and a laptop at work on office 365 and I suspect more will follow. This is a big deal if you cant search emails in our business. I hope the fix is being sorted. This is the second time in the last year an update has messed us about.
    • Proposed as answer by Patriot1517 Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Patriot1517 Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:32 AM
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Microsoft has just issued an Outlook update that fixes this problem.  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-search-not-working/75b0acb4-ec1b-41a5-b84e-5c251679700d?auth=1
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:34 AM
  • Hi All,

The issue is fixed in Monthly Channel Version 1712 (Build 8827.2179). To get the latest update immediately, open Outlook and choose File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now.

Information for this issue is also provided in No Search results found when using All Mailboxes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:35 AM
  • This is not fixed. Current version is 1801 Monthly Channel (Build 9001.2144 Click-to-Run). Search All Mailboxes still says no matches found. Changed it to Current mailbox, current folder works fine.

Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:47 AM
  • It seems to be not fixed yet.. I am letting my users still use the workaround. Please fix this...
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Still not fixed and even the work around doesn't work.

Only way to make it work is to start Outlook in safe mode.

Please, fix it.

Thanks

Friday, September 28, 2018 4:17 AM