Network Policy Server keeps stopping RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I configured NAP and 802.1X for dynamic VLAN distribution and health checks. Dynamic VLAN distribution worked well until a few days ago. Now the Network Policy Server changes its state to 'stopped' every time a client is connected to the network. If I re-start the service manually and re-connect the client, NPS stops again.

The Application log shows this entry:
    Faulting application svchost.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919291, faulting module iasnap.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791acfc, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000000000018991, process id 0xfb0, application start time 0x01c8f335db8fc645.

The NPS log shows this entry:
    Network Policy Server discarded the request for a user.

Contact the Network Policy Server administrator for more information.

[..]

Authentication Details:
        Proxy Policy Name:        NAP 802.1X (Wired)
        Network Policy Name:        -
        Authentication Provider:        Windows
        Authentication Server:        bridge.domain.com
        Authentication Type:        -
        EAP Type:            -
        Account Session Identifier:        -
        Reason Code:            96
        Reason:                The authentication request was not processed because the session timed out.

Any thoughts how I can fix this? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

-Dan

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,
    this installation of NAP had been working for a while, and there were no changes to the server (adding RAM etc).
    I ended up taking out the entire NAP configuration and rebuilding it from scratch, because even after I imported earlier working configurations of NPS it just wouldn't work anymore for some reason.

Thanks for your time as always,
    -Dan
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

I've not seen this error before. Is this a new installation of NPS, or has it been working for a while? If it is a new install, it might be worth reinstalling the service. Also, have you recently done anything to the server such as add RAM?

-Greg

Saturday, August 2, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  Hi,
     Thanks for contacting us. It would be great, if you can take a Dump of execution.
    Debugger is available @ http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

THanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Hi Greg,
    this installation of NAP had been working for a while, and there were no changes to the server (adding RAM etc).
    I ended up taking out the entire NAP configuration and rebuilding it from scratch, because even after I imported earlier working configurations of NPS it just wouldn't work anymore for some reason.

Thanks for your time as always,
    -Dan
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Hi Dan,

I wish we knew that the issue was. If it happens again perhaps give the debugger a try that RamaSubbu suggested. I'm glad it's working for you know however.

-Greg
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:16 PM