Any way to monitor volume space usage (not logical disk) in SCOM 2007 SP1? RRS feed

• Question

• I doesn't appear to me that SCOM 2007 SP1 provides any counters for monitoring Volume usage.  Please note this is different from Logical Disk (i.e. drive letters) as no drive letters are assigned to the Volumes being used.  This is due to the large number of Volumes.

I know I can write a PowerShell script to do this (already have one that reports Volume usage), but I wanted to know if there is any way "off-the-shelf" within SCOM 2007 SP1 to do this.  If not, I suspect the reason is there is no native Perf ctrs that monitor "Volume Free Space"?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:11 PM

Answers

• SCOM doesn't make performance counters like you suggest - in the case of the server OS, the OS would make the instrumentation that would be used to measure things like volumes, etc.

You can easily write a volume monitor in SCOM (well, easily is relative - you have to know how to write a new monitor that is driven by script data) to do what you want.  In effect, if you start with the logical monitor, modify it to include a query parm that checks to see that drive letter is empty, then you have found your volumes - and the monitor will do it's job.

Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:51 PM