none
SBS 2011 Standard installation hangs at Starting Windows screen

Answers

• OK, it's installing now. Earlier today I updated the motherboard BIOS and tried an XP install (because it asks for drivers and fails with a message). The XP install failed, so I assumed the BIOS upgrade had no effect.

But just to be sure I tried the 2011 install again, and it's running. It didn't ask for drivers, it just went to the screen where you define partitions. I've had no problems so far, but it takes a while, and isn't finished.

I have no idea why Supermicro didn't suggest this.

It has become quite a hassle to do BIOS updates. The new motherboards don't support Floppy drives and won't boot from an external floppy. They suggest using a bootable USB thumb drive, but don't help with making one. I found the software for making a bootable USB thumb drive from HP.

Thanks everyone for responding. When things that are supposed to be simple don't work, you never know where the answer will be.

• Marked as answer by js21 Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:32 PM
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:04 PM

All replies

• Supermicro X9SCA-F motherboard

Intel E3-1230 Xeon

16 gigs Crucial ECC memory

Adaptec ASR-5405 Raid controller

Latest ISO download, verified.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Hit shift-f10, example the log files.
    Can it see a router/plugged into a live nic?

Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Hi js21,

BTW, the installation log file “SBSSetup.log” is under path “C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs”.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, May 06, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Shift-F10 does nothing. the computer hangs. No keys have any effect. On one attempt I was given the option of running the install in safe mode. It hung after loading disk.sys.

There is no C: drive. I'm installing on a new computer. The drive has not been initialized.

Friday, May 06, 2011 5:03 PM
  • On further testing the install does not hang when the Adaptec Raid controller card is not present. This narrows down the problem but does not solve it.

It's not possible to install the software without drives.

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Is that raid card certified for Win2k8 r2?
    Friday, May 06, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Yes, the included CD has drivers for 2008 R2. But the install hangs before asking for drivers.
    Friday, May 06, 2011 6:44 PM
  • I'd post in the www.sbspartnerforum.info as I'm not sure.  I do my installs in hyperv so my driver issues are non existent.
    Friday, May 06, 2011 6:46 PM
  • I'm unproposing this as an answer because we haven't solved the problem for the poster.  If someone else has this same problem, I don't want someone coming to this thread looking for an answer when we don't have one.

Monday, May 09, 2011 7:01 AM
  • I'd be grateful for any help. Adaptec has not responded after three days, and Supermicro has responded, but not with any suggestions.
    Monday, May 09, 2011 4:02 PM
  • JS do you consult for other companies? 

Monday, May 09, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I also have the same issue, but I am using a standard motherboard, no add in cards
    Monday, May 09, 2011 4:37 PM
  • fwiw, SuperMicro does not list any driver support packages for 2008 R2, only Windows 7(x64).

I'd also double check that no overclocking was configured.

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 09, 2011 5:19 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by other companies. This is a consulting job, and this is costing a lot of money. Far more so far than the cost of the hardware.

I do not understand why industry leaders like Supermicro and Adaptec cannot do a simple thing like work without weeks of pain, or why they can't respond to a problem in half a week.

This is the second time an Adaptec card has done this to me, by the last time was seven years ago.

There's nothing configured except the motherboard defaults. I've updated the BIOS to the latest version. It still blue screens with the XP install, so it's not just the Server 2011. It's an incompatibility between the motherboard, the Raid card and Windows.

The Raid utilities work just fine. The array is built and is optimal. I can only assume it's a problem with the drivers.

Monday, May 09, 2011 6:09 PM
  • I'm asking to see if you a microsoft partner or should be signed up as a microsoft partner.

You are.  Therefore I'm urging you to post in the sbs partner forums at www.sbspartnerforum.info.

If you can't get in there, sign into the partner site, then go to support tab.  Follow the info to sign up for the partner forums and reask your question there.

You should be able to get to a f10 and get a command prompt.  From there you should be able to install the driver.  If you can't, then post in the partner forum.

Monday, May 09, 2011 6:22 PM
  • OK, it's installing now. Earlier today I updated the motherboard BIOS and tried an XP install (because it asks for drivers and fails with a message). The XP install failed, so I assumed the BIOS upgrade had no effect.

But just to be sure I tried the 2011 install again, and it's running. It didn't ask for drivers, it just went to the screen where you define partitions. I've had no problems so far, but it takes a while, and isn't finished.

I have no idea why Supermicro didn't suggest this.

It has become quite a hassle to do BIOS updates. The new motherboards don't support Floppy drives and won't boot from an external floppy. They suggest using a bootable USB thumb drive, but don't help with making one. I found the software for making a bootable USB thumb drive from HP.

Thanks everyone for responding. When things that are supposed to be simple don't work, you never know where the answer will be.

• Marked as answer by js21 Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:32 PM
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:04 PM