none
Virtual Smart Card RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have recently started to look at the VSC feature available in Win8. I have gotten my lab up to snuff and i'm able to issue certificates to my VSC by using certmgr to request a new certificate. This all works really neatly and the concept is quite interesting.

However I'm not able to issue certificates from FIM CM to my VSC. The enrollment fails just after the card reader has been selected with the error "Not a valid Base CSP smart card.". I'm not running FIM CM 2010 without the R2 upgrade.

Does anyone have any information regarding VSC and FIM CM?

BR

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:36 PM

Answers

• R2 was released prior to VSCs being available. There is engineering issue in SP1 that prevents it from properly seeing VSCs as valid Base CSP cards. There is a hotfix coming soon to resolve this problem.
    I finally had some time to bring my lab up to FIM CM 2010 R2 Sp1. I'm unfortunately still getting the same error, so R2 does not add support for VSC which is a real downer. Anyone with any other ideas of how to get FIM CM to write a certificate to a VSC?

Friday, March 1, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Thanks Paul, that's good news! In that case I'll just wait for the hotfix to be released and update this thread once it has been released.

Well, it took longer than I expected but the hotfix is now GA: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2832389

• Marked as answer by FIM-CM Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:46 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:46 PM

All replies

• Definitely doesn't work with RTM. It may work with SP1 but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Alright, thanks for the reply. I'll upgrade my lab and check it out.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:43 AM
  • I finally had some time to bring my lab up to FIM CM 2010 R2 Sp1. I'm unfortunately still getting the same error, so R2 does not add support for VSC which is a real downer. Anyone with any other ideas of how to get FIM CM to write a certificate to a VSC?
    Friday, March 1, 2013 2:32 PM
  • R2 was released prior to VSCs being available. There is engineering issue in SP1 that prevents it from properly seeing VSCs as valid Base CSP cards. There is a hotfix coming soon to resolve this problem.
    I finally had some time to bring my lab up to FIM CM 2010 R2 Sp1. I'm unfortunately still getting the same error, so R2 does not add support for VSC which is a real downer. Anyone with any other ideas of how to get FIM CM to write a certificate to a VSC?

Friday, March 1, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Thanks Paul, that's good news! In that case I'll just wait for the hotfix to be released and update this thread once it has been released.
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:06 AM

Well, it took longer than I expected but the hotfix is now GA: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2832389

• Marked as answer by FIM-CM Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:46 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Thanks for informing about this. I'll get on installing and come back wit h any feedback I have.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:35 PM