none
MDT 2013 windows deployment with recovery partiton. RRS feed

• Question

• To everyone that takes the time to read this.... Thank you, and I am sorry if it seems long winded.

Now to why I am posting this. I have been tasked with getting a new image server made. Our current one is a old poweredge from about 5 years ago. It is no longer able to keep up with demands of our growing business. The current server that we have was one that I inherited, and have been doing upgrades and upkeep on for the past 3 years. So it was deemed time for an upgrade. Of hardware and software.

I have server 2012 r2 installed on this server, as well as mdt 2013, and the most up to date adk, and wds.

Now that the history is out, on to my current dilemma.  At this point I have been able to get everything ready in mdt, and it does install the OS. Currently I am working on 7, but will be needing to branch out to 8 and 10 as well. Along with 7, I have a recovery partition being made, as well as it will capture the recovery image. if I look at the partitions after the install, I can see the three partitions, system reserved, recovery partition, and the windows partitions. Yes I need the thee partitions. I need to be able to make as close to OEM recovery as possible for computer resell. As well as windows 10 upgrade looks for the system reserved, and if it is not there, windows 10 upgrade will not work, and we get angry customers. 

With all this done, if you attempt to run the partition, it will simply pull up a cmd window, cursor blinks a few times, then it say that is completed successfully. Nothing happens though.  I used the below link to guide to get me started, , and that has gotten to where I am at this time.

http://www.stephan-schwarz.net/?p=123

I have also tried to use this script tool found on spiceworks, but it give the error cannot mount generic_x86.wim error code = 740.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/605859-windows-recovery-partition-for-microsoft-deployment-to...

I have even tired to use some of my scripts from my older image server. I am not going to say how that went.

At this point I think that it has something to do with what and how my WinRE.wim files are made. i just have not been able to find an answer.

Thank you for reading, and any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 10:53 PM

Answers

• So I have continued in my quest to get my deployment server fully capable of installing whatever it is that I want.

So far I have it able to install Windows vista thru windows 8 with recovery partition. As well as I can install Windows 8.1 without recovery partition.  I still have not started on windows 10 yet.

For any one looking at the original post, I have to make a new user id, because I could not remember my last one, as well as yes, I have been working on this since October. In this time, I have gotten pretty far, but that has not been easy. I have learned more ways to not do what I want, than I have learned any thing else.

The fault that I am currently having with windows 8.1 is it will install with no problem, create the recovery partition, move the winre.wim file over, allow me to set the path of the recovery partition. Then it will restart, and when the task sequence calls ztibackup.wsf. The task sequence will sit for a few seconds, then it will jump past it as if it did complete. Only it has not. In trying to look at the logs, because MDT think the sequence has completed, the logs are cleaned up.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Monday, December 28, 2015 10:13 PM

All replies

• Reading this it is unclear what your question is.  Is your question how do I setup machines so they can use factory restore?

If you want to do OEM installs you might want to look at: http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/products/Pages/index.aspx#fbid=IhOdSnCIX2W

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Friday, October 9, 2015 6:29 PM
  • So I have continued in my quest to get my deployment server fully capable of installing whatever it is that I want.

So far I have it able to install Windows vista thru windows 8 with recovery partition. As well as I can install Windows 8.1 without recovery partition.  I still have not started on windows 10 yet.

For any one looking at the original post, I have to make a new user id, because I could not remember my last one, as well as yes, I have been working on this since October. In this time, I have gotten pretty far, but that has not been easy. I have learned more ways to not do what I want, than I have learned any thing else.

The fault that I am currently having with windows 8.1 is it will install with no problem, create the recovery partition, move the winre.wim file over, allow me to set the path of the recovery partition. Then it will restart, and when the task sequence calls ztibackup.wsf. The task sequence will sit for a few seconds, then it will jump past it as if it did complete. Only it has not. In trying to look at the logs, because MDT think the sequence has completed, the logs are cleaned up.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Monday, December 28, 2015 10:13 PM