Windows Live Mail Hangs at App Startup RRS feed

• Question

• System: AMD 940 BE with 8gigs of Ram - Win 7 Ult x64 upgrade from Vista Ult SP2 x64

Windows Live Mail Hangs when starting up

What I've done to date;
    Used Compatability mode from XP (SP1)(SP2)thru Vista (SP1)(SP2)
    Was sucsessful 1 time when I Turned off UAC but on next reboot the condition returned
    Uninstalled and Reinstall
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

• I have the same issue, same setup. 

If I run "Troubleshoot Compatibility" on the Windows Live Mail shortcut, click "Try recommended settings", then click the "Start the program..." button, WLM starts up normally EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If I save those settings and try starting WLM from the shortcut, it hangs.

So my question is, what does the 'Compatibility' wizard do differently that lets WLM start normally, and can I recreate that?
    -G
    • Marked as answer by Geoff MacCombe Monday, February 1, 2010 11:23 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Just to finish off my experience with WLM...

Today it wouldn't get past the hang no matter how I started it.  Figured I'd try reinstall.  Of course the installer won't let you if it thinks it's already installed.  Went to uninstall it, doesn't appear in Programs and Features.  Wondered why Microsoft was always the biggest violator of common Windows practices.  Used Windows Install Cleanup.  The installer now thinks it's uninstalled, but fails at the end trying to write the registry.  Online help for the problem, as usual, says there's a problem but offers no solution.

Installed Thunderbird.  Found an extension that let me import all my email (to a drive that ISN'T my boot drive, how I HATE apps that force themselves onto the boot drive.  Yes, I'm looking at you, Microsoft).  Moved all my original email off of my boot drive, just for backup. 

Started WLM - it was supposedly uninstalled and the re-install failed, but it started right up - which was lucky for me since I hadn't previously exported my contacts.  So I did that and imported them into Thunderbird.  Deleted all traces of WLM from my system.  Good riddance, thanks Microsoft.

I note this only because WLM started up easily with no email present.  I wonder if the sheer volume of existing email was what it couldn't handle?  Anyone with this problem might try backing up and deleting a large number of emails just to see if WLM will start properly.

-G
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:04 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the post .

Please if you have any antivirus program installed on your machine that does email scanning option, could you try disabling the email option and see if this is the cause for the windows live mail hangs.

Also, give it a try uninstalling Windows Live Mail, then deleting the hidden C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail folder if still there. This will give you a clean start. Afterwards, reinstall it to see if it works properly.

Please use this link for your reference:

http://www.vistax64.com/live-mail/164717-live-mail-still-hangs-up.html

Veeresh

NOTE - Disclaimer

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

• Proposed as answer by Veeresh-H Monday, November 9, 2009 6:30 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I have the same issue, same setup. 

If I run "Troubleshoot Compatibility" on the Windows Live Mail shortcut, click "Try recommended settings", then click the "Start the program..." button, WLM starts up normally EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If I save those settings and try starting WLM from the shortcut, it hangs.

So my question is, what does the 'Compatibility' wizard do differently that lets WLM start normally, and can I recreate that?
    -G
    • Marked as answer by Geoff MacCombe Monday, February 1, 2010 11:23 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Pretty disappointing to not get any response. 

The Compatibility Wizard obviously does something special to make Live Mail work every time, it would be helpful to hear from someone at Microsoft who could tell us what it does.
    -G
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Yup I have to do this method everyday to start Live Mail, saveing the settings just dosen't cut it, must be a small precntage of users experianceing this otherwise a hotfix would be out by now
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:23 PM
  • I have the same issue with the same "fix" as mentionned above.

This problem has been happening only with WLM, OE didnt do that under xp. Running in win7 right now.

I first thought that my mail box was too loaded and that i had some corruption in there so I backup my data and just flushed evrything and reinstalled WLM. After a while, the problem comes back again.

I went thru a full OS reinstall with this issue popping after a while again.

Now my mailbox is almost empty and this issue started to happen again.

Not quite sure what to do now besides switching to another soft.

Friday, March 19, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Ok, I thought I was onto something...

It turns out that 'Troubleshoot Compatibility' creates a Task Scheduler task to start WLM.  Every time you run the wizard for anything, it creates a task.  (And is kind enough not to delete it, so your list of scheduled tasks is now full of useless entries that were run once then just left there.)

So I figured that was the key.  I tried creating tasks using a C# app, using the command line schtasks tool, even just re-running the task created by the wizard in Task Scheduler.  I created IDENTICAL tasks using the XML schema exported by Task Scheduler itself.

And that stupid WLM hangs.

At first it didn't, and I KNEW I had the solution.  But that was just a

This, of course, is impossible.  If the wizard creates and executes a task and WLM works, running the identical task MUST work.  Running the same task MUST work. 

Therefore I have to assume that little spinning circle that is my Busy Pointer must be a figment of my imagination, that Microsoft isn't ignoring the problem, it just doesn't really exist so there's nothing to ignore. :)

-G
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Through all of that above, I came across a different solution. I turned off the option 'Send and receive messages at startup'. So far WLM has started normally from the Icon every time since.
    -G
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Just to finish off my experience with WLM...

Today it wouldn't get past the hang no matter how I started it.  Figured I'd try reinstall.  Of course the installer won't let you if it thinks it's already installed.  Went to uninstall it, doesn't appear in Programs and Features.  Wondered why Microsoft was always the biggest violator of common Windows practices.  Used Windows Install Cleanup.  The installer now thinks it's uninstalled, but fails at the end trying to write the registry.  Online help for the problem, as usual, says there's a problem but offers no solution.

Installed Thunderbird.  Found an extension that let me import all my email (to a drive that ISN'T my boot drive, how I HATE apps that force themselves onto the boot drive.  Yes, I'm looking at you, Microsoft).  Moved all my original email off of my boot drive, just for backup. 

Started WLM - it was supposedly uninstalled and the re-install failed, but it started right up - which was lucky for me since I hadn't previously exported my contacts.  So I did that and imported them into Thunderbird.  Deleted all traces of WLM from my system.  Good riddance, thanks Microsoft.

I note this only because WLM started up easily with no email present.  I wonder if the sheer volume of existing email was what it couldn't handle?  Anyone with this problem might try backing up and deleting a large number of emails just to see if WLM will start properly.

-G
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Ok its time to sort this out hence why i use gmail now insted of WLM got rid of my Hotmail account after 7 years this is my work one im on now and i hate it.

My issuse is just after startup or Composing a new Message it hangs for 1-10 minutes

Never had an issue with WLM on Vista X86 -64 -32 same goes for Xp I have the same install of windows 7 on my laptop and my Girlfreinds laptop both have no issues with WLM so i thought this is a hardware issue and began searching.

I checked the drivers and everything is up to date i cant find a problem with any of the installs or anything. Changed anti-virus last week from avg to Avast so cant be that either as laptops are running avast as well no problems.

so i did some more searching

And Came up with nothing compatiblility is fine and everything else works just dandy so im just going to uninstall it after 7 years i spose it was a good run. Microsoft you need to check the values i have posted and see if there is somthing within my windows that causes the compatibility issues.Or if it is a Hardware problem Baring in mind that i ran vista and xp on the same system.

Pictures

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/dooooney/crash1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/dooooney/crash2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/dooooney/crash3.jpg

info on my pc

Field    Value
    Computer   
    Computer Type    ACPI x86-based PC
    Operating System    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    OS Service Pack    -
    Internet Explorer    8.0.7600.16385
    DirectX    DirectX 11.0
    Computer Name    FAM-PC
    User Name    Aaron
    Logon Domain    Fam-PC
    Date / Time    2010-05-25 / 06:42

Motherboard   
    CPU Type    DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6550, 2333 MHz (7 x 333)
    Motherboard Name    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR  (2 PCI, 4 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset    Intel Eaglelake P45
    System Memory    3328 MB  (DDR2 SDRAM)
    DIMM1: A-Data HYQPE1A16    1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)  (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
    DIMM3: A-Data HYQPE1A16    1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)  (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
    DIMM4: Kingmax KLDE88F-B8KB5    2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)  (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
    BIOS Type    Award Modular (02/24/09)
    Communication Port    Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port    Printer Port (LPT1)

Display   
    Video Adapter    NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO  (768 MB)
    Video Adapter    NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO  (768 MB)
    3D Accelerator    nVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO
    Monitor    Asus VW192  [19" LCD]  (7ALMVD001083)

Multimedia   
    Audio Adapter    Realtek ALC888 @ Intel 82801JB ICH10 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage   
    IDE Controller    Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26
    IDE Controller    Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20
    IDE Controller    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive    Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive    MAXTOR STM3160215AS ATA Device  (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
    Disk Drive    MAXTOR STM380215AS ATA Device  (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
    Disk Drive    ST3250310AS ATA Device  (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
    Optical Drive    PHILIPS SPD2202P ATA Device
    Optical Drive    PHILIPS SPD2413P ATA Device
    SMART Hard Disks Status    OK

Partitions   
    C: (NTFS)    76308 MB (47670 MB free)
    D: (NTFS)    149.0 GB (67.6 GB free)
    G: (NTFS)    145.0 GB (15.1 GB free)
    H: (NTFS)    89998 MB (66444 MB free)
    Total Size    456.4 GB (194.1 GB free)

Input   
    Keyboard    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse    PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network   
    Primary IP Address    192.168.1.2
    Primary MAC Address    00-12-BF-66-94-E5
    Network Adapter    Atheros Wireless Network Adapter  (192.168.1.2)
    Network Adapter    Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Peripherals   
    Printer    Fax
    Printer    Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    Printer    Panasonic KX-FLB803CN
    Printer    PCFAX Panasonic KX-FLB803CN
    Printer    Send To OneNote 2007
    USB1 Controller    Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB Universal Host Controller
    USB2 Controller    Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
    USB2 Controller    Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
    USB Device    Panasonic KX-FLB800/FLM650 Series
    USB Device    SafeNet Sentinel Hardware Key
    USB Device    SafeNet Sentinel Hardware Key
    USB Device    Unknown Device
    USB Device    USB Composite Device
    USB Device    USB Printing Support
    USB Device    USB2.0 PC Camera (SN9C201)

DMI   
    DMI BIOS Vendor    Award Software International, Inc.
    DMI BIOS Version    F5
    DMI System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    DMI System Product    EP45-UD3LR
    DMI System Version   
    DMI System Serial Number   
    DMI System UUID    00000000-00000000-00000024-1D8EF448
    DMI Motherboard Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    DMI Motherboard Product    EP45-UD3LR
    DMI Motherboard Version    x.x
    DMI Motherboard Serial Number   
    DMI Chassis Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    DMI Chassis Version   
    DMI Chassis Serial Number   
    DMI Chassis Asset Tag   
    DMI Chassis Type    Desktop Case
    DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets    4 / 1

Processes

Process Name    Process File Name    Type    Used Memory    Used Swap
    AvastUI.exe    D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe    32-bit    7728 KB    8660 KB
    brs.exe    D:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\brs.exe    32-bit    2884 KB    824 KB
    CloneCDTray.exe    D:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe    32-bit    3972 KB    956 KB
    DMWakeup.exe    D:\Program Files\Panasonic\Device Monitor\DMWakeup.exe    32-bit    6424 KB    3336 KB
    Dwm.exe    D:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe    32-bit    23800 KB    24256 KB
    everest.exe    C:\EVEREST_Ultimate_Edition\everest.exe    32-bit    33944 KB    28356 KB
    Explorer.EXE    D:\Windows\Explorer.EXE    32-bit    51208 KB    37524 KB
    firefox.exe    D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe    32-bit    255 MB    232 MB
    GrooveMonitor.exe    D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe    32-bit    7624 KB    2808 KB
    iTunesHelper.exe    D:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe    32-bit    12336 KB    5440 KB
    jusched.exe    D:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe    32-bit    3388 KB    916 KB
    mspaint.exe    D:\Windows\system32\mspaint.exe    32-bit    54928 KB    40860 KB
    PDVDServ.exe    D:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe    32-bit    4744 KB    1268 KB
    PWRISOVM.EXE    D:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE    32-bit    3332 KB    868 KB
    ResPcDev.exe    D:\Program Files\Panasonic\KX-FLB800_FLM650 Series\ResPcDev.exe    32-bit    4464 KB    1416 KB
    RtHDVCpl.exe    D:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe    32-bit    8316 KB    7608 KB
    Steam.exe    C:\steam\Steam.exe    32-bit    37936 KB    73372 KB
    taskhost.exe    D:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe    32-bit    7468 KB    7288 KB
    taskmgr.exe    D:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe    32-bit    8064 KB    2176 KB
    tsnp2std.exe    D:\Windows\tsnp2std.exe    32-bit    6800 KB    2044 KB
    uTorrent.exe    D:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe    32-bit    13460 KB    6516 KB
    vsnp2std.exe    D:\Windows\vsnp2std.exe    32-bit    5204 KB    1516 KB

Monday, May 24, 2010 8:59 PM
  • I've had this problem since my total messages passed 16400; I'm wondering about a program bug where an unsigned short int is treated as a signed int.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:00 PM