Send Mail from Server1 to Server2 in the same Exchange Organization over a nother smtp Archiv-Gateway-Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have 1 Exchange 2003 Organization with 2 Exchange 2003 Server.

Server1 has mailboxes with receipient addresses user@maildomain1.com.

Server2  has mailboxes with receipient addresses user@maildomain2.com.

All in the same active directory.

Question:

Is there a possibility to send mail from user@maildomain1.com to user@maildomain2.com via a nother smtp-server (archive-gateway)?

• Edited by Hangre Friday, January 18, 2013 2:42 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:13 PM

Answers

• No, I dont believe that is possible as exch will find the recipients in AD and willnuse RGC to send the mail, why do you want to do that anyway?

Sukh

Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

i will bring the two Exchange Server in a separate AD and Exchange organization.

The upgrade to Exchange 2010 is anyway on the Map.

• Marked as answer by Hangre Monday, January 21, 2013 11:02 AM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 11:02 AM

All replies

• No, I dont believe that is possible as exch will find the recipients in AD and willnuse RGC to send the mail, why do you want to do that anyway?

Sukh

Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:28 PM
  • It is not possible to route internal mails (within the organization) thro another SMTP server. If you are looking for message archiving, you can opt for Journaling with Exchange 2003.

• Edited by _PSS_ Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:42 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:34 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

i want to archive mails from maildomain1 to maildomain2 in the same external archive system like all other outgoing and incoming mails, that are already running over the external archive system.

And i don't want to archive all the other mail twice.

I need to use the external archive system says my boss. 

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Unless you current archiving system can host a mbx then Exch can hournal to that but if it can't then you;re out of luck.

Sukh

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

i will bring the two Exchange Server in a separate AD and Exchange organization.

• Marked as answer by Hangre Monday, January 21, 2013 11:02 AM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure how that is going to help anyway. All internal email routing will go via the HUB's and when you journal it will still need to go to a recipient. Either a mbx on Exch or you will have to use transport rules.

Sukh

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:09 AM