Server 2012 R2 running WSUS - Can I patch my Windows Server 2016 clients from this server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM running WSUS; having added a couple of Windows 2016 servers to my network I wanted to know if it's possible to patch them using this WSUS server or do I need to look at SCCM now as an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Kath

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Kit,

Your question: have a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM running WSUS; having added a couple of Windows 2016 servers to my network I wanted to know if it's possible to patch them using this WSUS server or do I need to look at SCCM now as an alternative?

Answer:Yes, you can  push patches using WSUS which is installed on 2012 server  to 2016 Vm's.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/get-started/windows-server-update-services-wsus

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 2:05 PM
  • Hi Kath,

You can use WSUS 6.3 based on Windows Server 2012 R2 to provide update approval services for clients of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 and later systems.

However, as a prerequisite for support, please ensure that your WSUS server has the latest Monthly Rollup installed, or KB2919355 and KB3159706 have been installed separately.

In addition, I recently replied to a similar thread. WSUS 6.3 does not accurately display the system name for newer versions of Windows clients. This is a known issue. Please refer to this thread: "Windows Server 2019 connect to WSUS on Windows Server 2012 R2".

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Thanks for your response.  Appreciated. :)

Kath

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

You can always use WSUS to patch its client (servers or workstations). SCCM just gives you more benefit than WSUS, like more and better reports, 3rd party application patching, more handy, better user experience and so on. if you have more question about it, feel free to ask

Regards

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:31 AM