explorer.exe overload, asking repeatedly to format nonexisting drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My system some times ask to format a drive I have not inserted, this happens repeadely anything between 1 times every 10 second, to 3 times a second. This occur after a reboot and will happen in about 33% of the times. The explorer.exe is using one core to maximum, and by closing explorer.exe removes the problem. I then start it again using the run option in task manager. The device manager is updating like a #¤&/ every time this happen, so I am unable to see what causes this.

This started for about 12 months ago. I have tried "sfc /scannow", "chkdsk", antivirus and unplugging everything all the way down to all HDD/SSD unneccesary for boot, also including BD-ROM, leaving only mouse, keyboard, BOOT SSD, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU and a screen. Problem still occurs. I am unable to find a simillar issue using google as my friend. Anyone have any idea?
    Cheers!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Dbass90,

Have you checked disk drives driver from the device manager and update it to have a check ?

"My system some times ask to format a drive I have not inserted"

We can check the following registry keys for the disk information and compare it with the items in the Windows Explorer..
    HKLM>System>MountedDevices

"This occur after a reboot"
    Considering this issue occurred during the boot process , we can try to perform a clean boot to verify whether it is caused by the third party software.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
    We also can use the autorun tool to check any suspicious autorun program ,service ,script.
     Autoruns for Windows v13.2
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

If the issue persists ,we can create a new administrator account and then login with it to have a check .This will help us to verify whether it is caused by machine or the user profiles.

Please also check the Event Viewer for any related information to troubleshoot this issue .
     Event Viewer\Windows Logs \Application ,System

Best regards

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:47 AM