none
User not in list of people to reassigned ownership of Project file to

Question

• I am trying to assign a project file (Project Online) to a new owner. However the person's name is not appearing in the list of Resources that are provide from which to pick the name of the new owner. This person has the same permissions as all the other people that are in the list. I'm afraid I don't understand enough about how PWA is set up to troubleshoot this.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

• Edited by run4it Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:52 PM

Answers

• run4it --

My colleague, Ali, gave you guidance in his first reply that I would advise you to follow.  Whomever set up your Project Online instance left it in the default SharePoint Permissions mode.  You really, really need to change this to Project Permissions mode to take complete control over the security permissions in the system.

If you are willing to make this change, you will then need to add people to the built-in security Groups in Project Web App.  Your focus should be on adding your PMs to the Project Managers security group and adding team members to the Team Members security group.

I agree with you that whomever set up your system did not set it up correctly, as least as far as best practices that we have advocated for many years.  Just an additional thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by run4it Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:35 PM
  • Update - after 2 prolonged sessions with MS support they were able to replicate the problem and have acknowledge that the issue is on their end in the SP Permissions Mode.  They will be working on a fix to push out at some later date.  It was suggested that I switch to Project Permissions Mode which I will be trying to figure out and implement.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:00 PM

All replies

• The users in the list are determined by their permissions in PWA. Generally, the user must be able to create, edit, save, publish projects in order to own a project and be visible in the list. 

If your PWA is set for Project Permission Mode (You can see Manage Users, manage Security in the PWA settings page) then make sure the user is added to the Project Managers Group or similar group if you have something else setup aside from the default groups. if you are unsure what the current user permissions are. you can check the effective rights (Project Mode Only) from the PWA Settings > Manage Users 

If PWA is set with SharePoint Permission Mode, then add the user to the Project Managers Group under site permission/groups.

You can find more information about Project security here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/project/manage-users-groups-and-categories-in-project-server-2013

Ali Al . PPM Consultant & Development Manager.

www.epmainc.com www.projectserver.com www.ppmxinc.com
    FB TW IN

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:48 PM
  • We are using the SharePoint Permission Mode and he is in the Project Managers Group along with the other people, but for some reason he doesn't show up in the list of people in the Pick Resource dialog box who can be made owner.  The only thing I can think of to do is remove all his access and start over.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:08 PM
  • If he is setup correctly as far as group membership, then simply edit the user and save (without really changing anything) will kick the user permission sync. 

I would still check the effective rights like I mentioned earlier in case he as an explicit deny on some permission. 

also, make sure his account is Active. 

FB TW IN

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:03 AM
  • can you please tell me what you mean by edit the user? I deleted him from the Project Managers group and re added him, but he is still not showing up in the Pick Resources dialog box list.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:28 PM
  • my bad, You did mention you are using SharePoint Permission Mode. in this case, make sure the user have valid license and is added to the resource pool under /sites/<your pwa name>/Resources.aspx 

if he is not in the resource pool, add a new resource and associate it with an existing account (type his email or name in the User Logon Account field). 

if he is already in the Resource Pool, make sure his resource is associated with his Office 365 logon account using the same steps. 

FB TW IN

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 9:21 PM
  • I have another issue (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/101a5841-22f5-49a0-bfe1-ad88f1467bbf/ownership-changing-when-project-files-opened?forum=projectonline) and after further testing I think the two issues are really just different parts of the same problem.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 9:24 PM
  • I saw your other thread. this is very strange. it may help to check the Queue Jobs and add the  Success to the Job Completion States to give you a better view of what/when things are changing. 

the queue will not keep successful jobs log for long time so you have to check whenever this happens again.

do you have any customization done on your POL? any integration or background code that modifies the projects or resources? 

FB TW IN

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 9:39 PM
  • No customizations, but I must say I don't believe who ever implemented it set it up correctly.  We don't use the Resources list, or tasks.  It's basically an expensive place to store .mpp files if you ask me.  Anyway MS Support is going to contact me today between later today.  I will post the result.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 9:56 PM
  • run4it --

My colleague, Ali, gave you guidance in his first reply that I would advise you to follow.  Whomever set up your Project Online instance left it in the default SharePoint Permissions mode.  You really, really need to change this to Project Permissions mode to take complete control over the security permissions in the system.

If you are willing to make this change, you will then need to add people to the built-in security Groups in Project Web App.  Your focus should be on adding your PMs to the Project Managers security group and adding team members to the Team Members security group.

I agree with you that whomever set up your system did not set it up correctly, as least as far as best practices that we have advocated for many years.  Just an additional thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:35 PM
  • I was on a screensharing support call with MS for 1.5 hours (just finished).  Fortunately, he got to see the craziness in action.  He had no explanation and will be getting back with me after discussion with engineers.  We discussed changing to Project Permissions.  Since this site has been up and running for almost 1.5 years he did not recommend it.  And these problems just began about a week ago as far as I can tell.  Or at least that's when it was brought to my attention.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:41 PM
  • Update - after 2 prolonged sessions with MS support they were able to replicate the problem and have acknowledge that the issue is on their end in the SP Permissions Mode.  They will be working on a fix to push out at some later date.  It was suggested that I switch to Project Permissions Mode which I will be trying to figure out and implement.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:00 PM