HELP!!!! Is q:140066.chs\office14\winwordc.exe a VIRUS??? Microsoft Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to open word today, but the anti virus software says q:140066.chs\office14\winwordc.exe, it blocked it n wont let me open word, but i can open ppt n excel. Please help me delete this thing if its a virus.

Thanks a bucnh!!!!!

• Edited by mangoruns Monday, July 23, 2012 7:27 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you have installed Word starter in the same computer before?
    If so, you can remove office starter from Control Panel test if it helps.

If not, please try to start Word in Safe Mode, Hold Ctrl key while click Word icon.

- If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Word program:
     1. Click File menu, click OptionsAdd-ins, click Go button in the Manage: COM Add-ins.
     2. Check if there has any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
     3. Close the Microsoft Word and restart it.
     4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart Microsoft Word, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

- If you still get the same error message, you may try to update anti-virus software.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• You must have bought an online download because "click-to-run" is only available from online download and CTR uses the Q:\ drive. 

Am I running Click-To-Run?

You can confirm you are using CTR: Go to help panel of any working app: File tab / Help command and look at the Right side of the Backstage panel. It should say "Product Activated" for MSI install or "Click-to-Run Product Updates".

I don't know what the exact path that MS uses, but if you do have CTR, it is unlikely to have a virus.

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:08 PM
  • I use win7, but I dont know how to get to the help panel, could you be more specific please? thanks
    Monday, July 23, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Hi,

Did you have installed Word starter in the same computer before?
    If so, you can remove office starter from Control Panel test if it helps.

If not, please try to start Word in Safe Mode, Hold Ctrl key while click Word icon.

- If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Word program:
     1. Click File menu, click OptionsAdd-ins, click Go button in the Manage: COM Add-ins.
     2. Check if there has any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
     3. Close the Microsoft Word and restart it.
     4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart Microsoft Word, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

- If you still get the same error message, you may try to update anti-virus software.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:29 AM