none
Missing default gateway RRS feed

• Question

• I gots ah question, would removal of the default on a server in my domain cause connectivity issues, for example if i have a file server but i dont want it connected to the internet for whatever reason, would that cause issues for a DA client, also the default gateway is not the UAG server.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hi again,

No you dont have to publish it in a portal for UAG DirectAccess clients be able to reach it.
    But make sure that the software version can use IPv6 and that it either has a DNS64/NAT64 IPv6 adress that will be translated to the correct ipv4 adress on your UAG or that you use a DNS record that NRPT will translate for you through DNS64/NAT64.

//Jonas Blom

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:01 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:16 AM

All replies

• Yes it would cause an issue as the server would not necessarily how to route return traffic back to the UAG
    Keith Alabaster - MVP/Forum Moderator
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Hi radray,

Like Keith says, if the server is unable to route traffic back to the UAG machine it will cause problems.

It might still work though, depending on how your internal infrastructure are designed.

* Are you using NAT64/DNS64 to let your DA clients reach this internal resource? (Ie, does this server only have an IPv4 address?)
    * Is this server and the UAG connected to the same internal network segment, or does the server have an explicit route configured to reach the network segment where your UAG's internal interface is connected?

If the above two questions are true, your DA clients should still be able to reach the server because to the internal server it will look like the traffic comes from the UAG 's internal IPv4 address.

Best wishes,
    Jonas Blom

• Proposed as answer by Jonas Blom Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:47 AM
  • Thanks for the response, yes i am using NAT/DNS64 and all my machines are the same subnet, i was just trying to narrow down a problem i was having with a quickbooks server, but everything works otherwise with all my clients.

One question: To access our cisco switches and routers we can either use the web interface or an app/utility, i got the web interface through DA to work by creating a record on my internal DNS, but in order for the application to work which it currently doesnt, do i have to publish it through the portal?

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Hi again,

No you dont have to publish it in a portal for UAG DirectAccess clients be able to reach it.
    But make sure that the software version can use IPv6 and that it either has a DNS64/NAT64 IPv6 adress that will be translated to the correct ipv4 adress on your UAG or that you use a DNS record that NRPT will translate for you through DNS64/NAT64.

//Jonas Blom

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:01 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:16 AM